Bulls face Bonnies in Big Four showdown
After rough start to season, Buffalo has found its groove
St. Bonaventure’s Matthew Wright is the Bonnies’ leading scorer coming into Saturday’s Big Four matchup between the Bulls and Bonnies at Alumni Arena at 2 p.m. Courtesy of St. Bonaventure University Athletics
The men's basketball's senior class has an opportunity to accomplish something it's been unable to the previous three seasons - defeat St. Bonaventure.
After three losses by a combined 11 points, this is the class' final chance to win this Western New York showcase.
The Bulls (2-2) host St. Bonaventure (6-2) on Saturday as they look to advance to 3-0 at Alumni Arena this season.
"I think the guys will be really fired up," said head coach Bobby Hurley. "This senior class hasn't beaten St. Bonaventure yet, and we have some guys who have accomplished a lot individually, and this is a game I know they are excited for."
The Bulls dropped their first of three Big Four matchups, 92-81 at Niagara Nov. 13.
The most noticeable difference for Buffalo in its two-game win streak has been its defense. Buffalo allowed 92 and 82 in its opening two losses, but the Bulls have held opponents to only 60.5 points per game in their two victories.
"I think the tipping point was the Niagara game and giving up 92 points," Hurley said. "We didn't consider that acceptable for if we are going to have the kind of season we need to have."
Senior forward Javon McCrea has recorded eight blocks in the past two games after swatting away only four in the first two games of the season.
The offense has been the definition of a balanced attack as of late. The Bulls had five scorers with at least nine points in their two victories and no Buffalo player scored over 20 points.
"We want to be able to be difficult to guard, and if you have multiple guys who can score and provide balance, it's even harder to guard," Hurley said.
Buffalo has won the battle at the free throw line as of late, with 23 more visits to the line (63-40) than their opponents in the winning streak
Matthew Wright leads the Bonnies in both scoring (18.4 points per game) and assists (3.9). Wright, the point guard, is the creator of St. Bonaventure's offense. It's important that Hurley's defense has accounted for him at all times. Wright had 31 points in the Bonnies' 83-71 victory over Southern Illinois.
Hurley described Bona guard Charlon Kloof as "an elite athlete we must keep away from the paint." The Bonnies have struggled from deep - shooting only 28 percent as a team - and Hurley said forcing them to shoot outside will be key in the game.
Buffalo hosts the Bonnies on Saturday for its last home game until Dec. 23. Tip is set for 2 p.m. at Alumni Arena and the game will air on Time Warner Sports Network.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership