Bulls likely to receive third bowl invitation; here are potential destinations
Why does this exist? The campus is literally across the street from a giant indoor skating rink. Once again, Student Life misspends student money. Anonymous
The football team's regular season may be over, but with an overall record of 8-4, the Bulls will most likely receive the third bowl invitation in school history on Sunday.
With a probable top-10 draft pick in senior linebacker Khalil Mack and other top-flight draft-eligible talents like senior running back Branden Oliver and senior receiver Alex Neutz, the Bulls could be a hot commodity when bowls decide who to send invitations to.
Until Sunday (8:30 p.m., ESPN), we can only guess where the Bulls will end up, but here are a few bowls that might feature the Bulls.
Idaho Potato Bowl
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl usually pits the third-best team in the Mid-American Conference against the sixth-best team in the Mountain West Conference.
Based on its regular season record, Buffalo is the fourth best team in the MAC, but if Northern Illinois wins on Friday, the Huskies will likely earn a BCS bowl berth. This would push each bowl-eligible MAC team up one spot for bowl consideration.
The most likely teams to play the Bulls in this bowl would be UNLV or Colorado State. Both teams are 7-5, 5-3 MWC.
The game will be played on Dec. 21.
New York, N.Y.
The Pinstripe Bowl is played at Yankee Stadium every year and is contracted to match the fourth-best team in the American Athletic Conference against the seventh-best team from the Big 12.
This season, the Big 12 only has six bowl-eligible teams, which allows the Pinstripe Bowl to invite any team of their choosing, opening the opportunity for UB to compete in the only bowl game played in its home state.
Houston would most likely be the team the Bulls would face in this bowl. The Cougars are 8-4, 5-3 AAC.
The Pinstripe Bowl is scheduled for Dec. 28.
San Diego, Calif.
The Poinsettia Bowl was supposed to be played between the second-place team in the Mountain West Conference and Army this season, but with Army failing to reach bowl eligibility, there is a chance the Bulls could be invited to the West Coast.
The MWC championship game will be played this weekend between Fresno State and Utah State, with the loser advancing to the Poinsettia Bowl. Both teams hold 7-1 conference records, but Fresno State holds a 10-1 record and is ranked No. 24 in the country.
The Poinsettia Bowl is scheduled for Dec. 26.
Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl
St. Petersburg, Fla.
The Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl is usually played between the sixth-best team in the AAC and any of the second to fifth teams from Conference USA. With the AAC only having four bowl eligible teams this season, the bowl gets to choose an at-large team.
The Conference USA championship game this weekend will feature Marshall and Rice. The loser of the game will be eligible for the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl along with East Carolina, Middle Tennessee, Texas-San Antonio and North Texas.
The Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl is scheduled for Dec. 23.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses