The top 10 UB sports moments of fall 2013
No. 1 - Mack's interception return for a touchdown against Ohio State
One play after nearly intercepting Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller, senior linebacker Khalil Mack pancaked an offensive lineman, picked of Miller's pass and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown - leaping for, and reaching, the end zone pylon.
The large stage at Ohio State Aug. 31 made Mack's pick a national highlight and he was even the No. 1 nationally trending topic on Twitter during the game.
No. 2 - Mack sets all-time NCAA record for forced fumbles
Mack entered the Bulls' game against Miami Ohio on Nov. 19 one forced fumble away from the NCAA career record. He forced three in the first half to take over sole possession of first place.
He also finished the regular season tied for the career record for tackles for loss.
No. 3 - Licata throws for a school-record 497 yards
After falling behind 38-0 early in the third quarter to Toledo on Nov. 12, sophomore quarterback Joe Licata went to work. He turned a blowout into a close game, pulling the Bulls within 10 by the final whistle.
Licata threw for a career-high four touchdowns, finishing with a school record 497 yards passing. He was named Mid-American Conference East Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
No. 4 - Neutz sets program record with 30 receiving touchdowns
One game after tying Namaan Roosevelt for most career touchdown catches at UB, senior receiver Alex Neutz caught two more from Licata against Toledo on Nov. 12 to take over sole possession of first place.
No. 5 - Ahart becomes first runner to win men's individual cross-country title
Senior Zach Ahart - a former walk on - led the men's team to a fifth-place finish at the MAC Championship Race on Nov. 2 and claimed the program's first-ever individual MAC Championship.
No. 6 - Svoboda has historic evening
Senior libero Kelly Svoboda set single-season, all-time and career-high digs records on Nov. 9 at Alumni Arena. Svoboda's 43 digs put her at 580 on the season and 1,889 over her career.
No. 7 - Hip-hop class provides spark for UB volleyball
With the Bulls down 2-0 against Akron Oct. 3, their chances of coming back appeared slim. But professor Kush Bhardwaj, also known as "Dr. B," brought his hip-hop class to Alumni Arena and took over the gym. Buffalo rallied to win the next three games, 25-22, 25-18 and 15-10 - capturing its second conference win of the season.
No. 8 - Women's basketball conquers the ACC
The Bulls traveled to Pittsburgh on Dec. 1 and defeated the Panthers 66-62. Five of the seven UB players who played more than five minutes in the game had double-digit points, led by junior guard Sloane Walton's 13.
No. 9 - Oliver rolls into the record book
Senior running back Branden Oliver surpassed his own single-season rushing record in the final regular season game on Nov. 29 against Bowling Green. He finished the year with 1,485 yards on the ground.
No. 10 - Buffalo welcomes the Bobby Hurley Era with Madness
Buffalo held its "Bulls Madness" on Oct. 25 as a preseason prep-rally. An alley-oop pass from the 200 section of Alumni Arena highlighted the event. Freshman guards Shannon Evans and Deyshonee Much hooked up for the dunk to electrify the crowd and win the dunk contest.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!