2010 Record: 0-1
2009 Record: 13-17 (7-7 Patriot League)
Nov. 19, 2009
Buffalo 63, Navy 53
Buffalo leads Navy, 2-1
Three Midshipmen to watch:
PG O.J. Avworo – The senior is entering his fourth year as a starting point guard and is the clear leader of the Navy squad. He is not only one of the top point guards in the Patriot League, but in the nation as well. Avworo led the Patriot League and was 14th in the nation last season with 5.8 assists per game. More impressive was his ability to limit turnovers; his assist-to-turnover ratio was 2.28. Avworo will present a formidable challenge to Buffalo point guards Byron Mulkey and Tony Watson III.
SG Jordan Sugars – Though there are many options at shooting guard for Navy, the Bulls defense should focus on slowing down Sugars. The junior was the only player in the conference to average at least 15 points and eight rebounds a game last season. He also made 78 3-pointers on the year, solidifying himself as a dual threat. Sugars is the type of player who can tear apart a zone defense, so Buffalo must be aware of where he is on the court.
C Mark Veazey – Veazey will be a wild card for the Midshipmen all season. When healthy, he has proven that he can be an outstanding center. After injuring his foot last season, however, Veazey only mustered 3.5 points and 1.6 rebounds per game. Veazey is determined to stay healthy for his senior season and got off to a good start with 14 points, eight rebounds, and five blocks in Navy's season opener against Texas. The Bulls frontcourt should prevent Veazey from getting involved early and limit Navy's attack to outside shooting.
The Bulls will win if…Their defense can slow down the potent and experienced Navy scoring attack. Buffalo should capitalize on the Midshipmen's lack of momentum after Navy was crushed by Texas in their season opener.
The Midshipmen will win if…Their experienced players set the tone early and the younger players feed off the energy. Navy must establish an inside-out offensive attack in order to get Veazey involved and breakdown the Bulls zone.
The season opener is very important for any young sports team. This is especially true for the Bulls, who are trying to set a winning tone for the rest of the season. Home court advantage will be critical, and Buffalo should feed off the crowd and build its confidence early.
Navy's season-opening loss shouldn't be taken at face value, as it came on the road against a ranked opponent in Texas. However, I think the loss will affect the Midshipmen, especially since they are on the road again.
Buffalo should get off to a quick start and use its defense to hold on to the lead and win its season opener.
Buffalo – 63
Navy – 55
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses