Mitchell Watt: All-American
Senior center has been selected to play in the Reese’s College All-Star Game. The game will be played this Friday as part of the Final Four weekend in New Orleans. Meg Kinsley // The Spectrum
The season may be over for the men's basketball team, but that doesn't mean the season has stopped for one Bull.
Senior forward Mitchell Watt earned national recognition on Tuesday when he was announced as a member of the 2012 Reese's All-Star Game. The game features 20 select seniors from across the nation, and will be played on the Final Four floor at the Superdome in New Orleans this Friday.
"It's an honor," Watt said. "It's pretty cool that I can go out this time of year and represent this team and this program. Especially on a prestigious stage such as the Final Four."
The game will be another opportunity for Watt to showcase his skills against some of the best players in the country, as well as in front of NBA scouts.
The senior will get more than one opportunity to do so because he was invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament from April 11-14, where he will also play in front of representatives from all 30 NBA teams. Watt is eager to showcase his skills for those who are making decisions at the next level.
"I'd definitely rather play in the United States than overseas," Watt said. "I think I'll be able to get [to the NBA] with the determination and hard work [I'm putting in]."
The recognition stems from his outstanding senior season, in which Watt was named Mid-American Conference Player of the Year - and those accolades continued post-season.
On Monday, the Associated Press named Watt as an honorable mention to its All-America team. In terms of Buffalo history, Watt is only the second player to reach that plateau after former guard Turner Battle. Watt was also the only player from the MAC selected.
Fans wishing to watch Watt in the Reese's All-Star Game can tune in to TruTV Saturday at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
- Easy A(rts): UB's best introductory art courses
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor