Big Red is Best
Bulls Have Strong Showing at Cornell
The wrestling team traveled to Ithaca for the Body Bar Invitational this weekend and finished fifth out of 11 teams in a tournament that featured three top-20 teams. Alex McCrossen /The Spectrum
The wrestling team traveled to Ithaca, N.Y. over the weekend to take part in the Body Bar Invitational.
No. 1 nationally ranked Cornell (1-0) hosted and won the tournament after compiling 134 points on the day. The Big Red finished 42 points ahead of the next closest team.
The Bulls (1-1) were successful in placing wrestlers in the top three in six different weight classes and finished fifth overall out of 11 teams.
"I think we did OK," said senior Jimmy Hamel. "Six guys in the semifinals was great for the team. This was the first time we are seeing this kind of competition. It's a great experience."
Hamel placed third in the 184-pound weight class and now sits just three wins away from 100 for his career.
Three of those wins came in Ithaca over the weekend, and Hamel attributes his success to a number of factors.
"I am very excited about [100 victories]," Hamel said. "I'm mostly just happy that I've stayed healthy enough to get here. I have a lot of goals for this season and this is just one of them. I am looking to win the Mid-American Conference tournament and be an All-American."
Sophomore Andrew Schutt placed third in the 141-pound division. He won two straight before losing to the eventual champion, Lock Haven's Matthew Bonson.
Helping out at 157 pounds, sophomore Mark Lewandowski took second place in his division and continues to be an early season surprise for the Bulls. He recorded four straight wins before losing his only match in the finals.
Bulls star junior Desi Green didn't compete at the event. No word was available at press time regarding the reasoning for Green's inactivity.
The Bulls now have two weeks off before getting back on the mat. Their final tournament in this stretch of their season is on Dec. 5 and is hosted by the Nittany Lions at the Penn State Open.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge