Bulls Prepare to Face Nationally Ranked Opponent
BYU point guard, Jimmer Fredette, is likely to be a valiant opponent for the Bulls. Source
The most compelling game of the Buffalo college basketball season may just be while most students are preparing for New Year's in their hometowns during winter break.
The Bulls (4-3) will host No. 21 Brigham Young University (8-0) at Alumni Arena on Thursday, Dec. 30. This will mark the first game against a nationally ranked opponent at home for Buffalo since Connecticut visited Alumni Arena in 2008.
Coming into the season, critics predicted the Bulls to finish near the bottom of the Mid-American Conference, and while that is still a possibility, they have played better than expected early on.
Senior point guard Byron Mulkey has had a memorable season and it is only seven games old. He is leading the country in steals with 4.1 per game, and his leadership on and off the court has been praised by his teammates and head coach Reggie Witherspoon.
When the Bulls face the Cougars, Mulkey will take on his toughest challenge of the season – BYU point guard Jimmer Fredette.
Fredette hasn't been as consistent from 3-point range this season, but the senior is still putting up impressive numbers.
The Bulls will have to turn in a top-notch defensive effort if they hope to slow down Fredette and company. If Saturday night's game against St. Bonaventure is any indication of the Bulls' defensive ability to stop the 3-pointer, they could be in trouble.
Senior guard Jackson Emery has played well for the Cougars this season. He is averaging 12 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.6 steals per game.
One area where the Cougars could be vulnerable is on the glass. The leading rebounder for BYU is junior forward Charles Abouo, who comes off the bench. Junior forwards Mitchell Watt and Titus Robinson, along with freshman forward Javon McCrea, will have to box out and crash the boards.
If BYU is given second shot opportunities, it has proven to be able to make teams pay.
The game is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Bulls survive scare with FCS opponent Duquesne
- Buffalo, we have a problem: Bulls performance against Duquesne should leave...
- Buffalo makes top 10 list for cities with best quality of life
- Spectrum 360: Football season preview video 2014
- Taking the field: Bull linebacker Lee Skinner's journey to UB
- The big men on campus
- The Licata way
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care