Bulls to play in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
UB receives bowl invitation for first time since 2008-09 season
Sophomore running back Anthone Taylor celebrates a touchdown with teammates during the Bulls' 26-23 win over Stony Brook Sept. 14. Nick Fischetti, The Spectrum
The University at Buffalo's football team is going to a postseason bowl game for the first time since 2009. On Sunday, the Bulls accepted an invitation to play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Saturday, Dec. 21, against San Diego State.
The game will air on ESPN and begin at 3:30 p.m. at Bronco Stadium in Boise, Ida.
SDSU, which plays in the Mountain West Conference, finished 7-5 this season (6-2 in conference). This is the Aztecs' fourth consecutive bowl appearance.
The Bulls' regular season came to a close with a 24-7 loss to Bowling Green at Ralph Wilson Stadium Nov. 29, but Buffalo's 8-4 regular season record (6-2 Mid-American Conference) was enough to secure a bowl invitation.
Buffalo last competed in a bowl in the 2009 International Bowl. UB lost, 38-20, to UConn at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.
This is the first bowl appearance under head coach Jeff Quinn, who is in his fourth year.
"It's been four years in the making. I couldn't be more proud of this senior class and coaching staff to have this opportunity," Quinn said. "We talked about setting our goals towards being a football program that has a November and December tradition. And to be invited to a bowl game when we knew there were more bowl-eligible teams, represents the kind of hard work we have invested in ourselves. A chance to play in the Famous Potato Bowl is a great opportunity for our kids."
Seventy-nine teams were eligible for bowl games (with six or more wins), and 70 received bowl invitations.
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is the third bowl that will take place in this year's slate. This is the bowl's 17th season.
"We are excited to be going to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. They do a great job with their bowl experience," said UB Athletic Director Danny White, who extended Quinn's contract Nov. 2012. "The community really rallies behind it. For us, it's a big moment. It's a testament to the work of Coach Quinn and his staff and these student-athletes. They have worked hard to build the program to this point. The key is that we don't look back. We want to be enjoying this moment every year."
In a press release, Kevin McDonald, the executive director of the bowl, said: "We are thrilled to welcome Buffalo and San Diego State, two outstanding teams, to our game for the first time. Both programs have produced great results throughout the season and I am sure they will bring that to the table to make our game an exciting one."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!