Bulls to play in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
UB receives bowl invitation for first time since 2008-09 season
Sophomore running back Anthone Taylor celebrates a touchdown with teammates during the Bulls' 26-23 win over Stony Brook Sept. 14. Nick Fischetti, The Spectrum
The University at Buffalo's football team is going to a postseason bowl game for the first time since 2009. On Sunday, the Bulls accepted an invitation to play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Saturday, Dec. 21, against San Diego State.
The game will air on ESPN and begin at 3:30 p.m. at Bronco Stadium in Boise, Ida.
SDSU, which plays in the Mountain West Conference, finished 7-5 this season (6-2 in conference). This is the Aztecs' fourth consecutive bowl appearance.
The Bulls' regular season came to a close with a 24-7 loss to Bowling Green at Ralph Wilson Stadium Nov. 29, but Buffalo's 8-4 regular season record (6-2 Mid-American Conference) was enough to secure a bowl invitation.
Buffalo last competed in a bowl in the 2009 International Bowl. UB lost, 38-20, to UConn at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.
This is the first bowl appearance under head coach Jeff Quinn, who is in his fourth year.
"It's been four years in the making. I couldn't be more proud of this senior class and coaching staff to have this opportunity," Quinn said. "We talked about setting our goals towards being a football program that has a November and December tradition. And to be invited to a bowl game when we knew there were more bowl-eligible teams, represents the kind of hard work we have invested in ourselves. A chance to play in the Famous Potato Bowl is a great opportunity for our kids."
Seventy-nine teams were eligible for bowl games (with six or more wins), and 70 received bowl invitations.
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is the third bowl that will take place in this year's slate. This is the bowl's 17th season.
"We are excited to be going to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. They do a great job with their bowl experience," said UB Athletic Director Danny White, who extended Quinn's contract Nov. 2012. "The community really rallies behind it. For us, it's a big moment. It's a testament to the work of Coach Quinn and his staff and these student-athletes. They have worked hard to build the program to this point. The key is that we don't look back. We want to be enjoying this moment every year."
In a press release, Kevin McDonald, the executive director of the bowl, said: "We are thrilled to welcome Buffalo and San Diego State, two outstanding teams, to our game for the first time. Both programs have produced great results throughout the season and I am sure they will bring that to the table to make our game an exciting one."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses