Bulls to play in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
UB receives bowl invitation for first time since 2008-09 season
Sophomore running back Anthone Taylor celebrates a touchdown with teammates during the Bulls' 26-23 win over Stony Brook Sept. 14. Nick Fischetti, The Spectrum
The University at Buffalo's football team is going to a postseason bowl game for the first time since 2009. On Sunday, the Bulls accepted an invitation to play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Saturday, Dec. 21, against San Diego State.
The game will air on ESPN and begin at 3:30 p.m. at Bronco Stadium in Boise, Ida.
SDSU, which plays in the Mountain West Conference, finished 7-5 this season (6-2 in conference). This is the Aztecs' fourth consecutive bowl appearance.
The Bulls' regular season came to a close with a 24-7 loss to Bowling Green at Ralph Wilson Stadium Nov. 29, but Buffalo's 8-4 regular season record (6-2 Mid-American Conference) was enough to secure a bowl invitation.
Buffalo last competed in a bowl in the 2009 International Bowl. UB lost, 38-20, to UConn at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.
This is the first bowl appearance under head coach Jeff Quinn, who is in his fourth year.
"It's been four years in the making. I couldn't be more proud of this senior class and coaching staff to have this opportunity," Quinn said. "We talked about setting our goals towards being a football program that has a November and December tradition. And to be invited to a bowl game when we knew there were more bowl-eligible teams, represents the kind of hard work we have invested in ourselves. A chance to play in the Famous Potato Bowl is a great opportunity for our kids."
Seventy-nine teams were eligible for bowl games (with six or more wins), and 70 received bowl invitations.
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is the third bowl that will take place in this year's slate. This is the bowl's 17th season.
"We are excited to be going to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. They do a great job with their bowl experience," said UB Athletic Director Danny White, who extended Quinn's contract Nov. 2012. "The community really rallies behind it. For us, it's a big moment. It's a testament to the work of Coach Quinn and his staff and these student-athletes. They have worked hard to build the program to this point. The key is that we don't look back. We want to be enjoying this moment every year."
In a press release, Kevin McDonald, the executive director of the bowl, said: "We are thrilled to welcome Buffalo and San Diego State, two outstanding teams, to our game for the first time. Both programs have produced great results throughout the season and I am sure they will bring that to the table to make our game an exciting one."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge