Quick Hits: Speckman's second no-hitter of season helps softball team claim first-ever MAC East titl
Senior pitcher Tori Speckman threw the fourth no-hitter in school history and her second of the season on Saturday in a 9-0, five-inning victory. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Softball (27-20, 11-5 Mid-American Conference)
The Bulls won their first-ever MAC East regular season championship after sweeping Kent State (24-18, 10-6 MAC) this weekend. Senior pitcher Tori Speckman threw the fourth no-hitter in school history and her second of the season on Saturday in a 9-0, five-inning victory. Speckman is the only Bull to ever throw more than one no-hitter in a career. Speckman delivered another great performance on Sunday, giving up just one run in a 2-1 win.
Buffalo will be the No. 2 seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament - its highest seed in just its third-ever appearance - and face Northern Illinois (22-29, 10-12 MAC) Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Athens, Ohio.
Baseball (21-18, 12-8 MAC)
The Bulls lost two of three against last-place Ohio (10-33, 5-15 MAC) this weekend in Athens, Ohio. After dropping the first game on Friday, 4-3, the Bulls found themselves trailing 5-1 early in the second game. Buffalo's offense emerged, however, and scored nine runs over the final eight innings for a 10-7 victory. Senior pitcher Mike Burke struggled in the final game Sunday, giving up 10 runs on 11 hits - only four of which were earned - in a 14-8 loss.
The Bulls host Niagara (15-24, 8-10 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) for a midweek three-game series. Buffalo will play Tuesday at 6 p.m. before a Wednesday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. All games will be at Amherst Audubon Field.
Men's lacrosse (7-7, 1-4 Pioneer Collegiate Lacrosse League)
The Bulls were eliminated from the PCLL playoffs on Friday in Tolland, Conn., after a first-round 6-5 overtime loss to Connecticut (7-6, 3-2 PCLL). Northeastern (10-2, 4-1 PCLL) won the conference championship game with a 12-5 win over New Hampshire (6-6, 3-2 PCLL) Sunday in Providence, R.I.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World