Quick Hits: Speckman's second no-hitter of season helps softball team claim first-ever MAC East titl
Senior pitcher Tori Speckman threw the fourth no-hitter in school history and her second of the season on Saturday in a 9-0, five-inning victory. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Softball (27-20, 11-5 Mid-American Conference)
The Bulls won their first-ever MAC East regular season championship after sweeping Kent State (24-18, 10-6 MAC) this weekend. Senior pitcher Tori Speckman threw the fourth no-hitter in school history and her second of the season on Saturday in a 9-0, five-inning victory. Speckman is the only Bull to ever throw more than one no-hitter in a career. Speckman delivered another great performance on Sunday, giving up just one run in a 2-1 win.
Buffalo will be the No. 2 seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament - its highest seed in just its third-ever appearance - and face Northern Illinois (22-29, 10-12 MAC) Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Athens, Ohio.
Baseball (21-18, 12-8 MAC)
The Bulls lost two of three against last-place Ohio (10-33, 5-15 MAC) this weekend in Athens, Ohio. After dropping the first game on Friday, 4-3, the Bulls found themselves trailing 5-1 early in the second game. Buffalo's offense emerged, however, and scored nine runs over the final eight innings for a 10-7 victory. Senior pitcher Mike Burke struggled in the final game Sunday, giving up 10 runs on 11 hits - only four of which were earned - in a 14-8 loss.
The Bulls host Niagara (15-24, 8-10 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) for a midweek three-game series. Buffalo will play Tuesday at 6 p.m. before a Wednesday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. All games will be at Amherst Audubon Field.
Men's lacrosse (7-7, 1-4 Pioneer Collegiate Lacrosse League)
The Bulls were eliminated from the PCLL playoffs on Friday in Tolland, Conn., after a first-round 6-5 overtime loss to Connecticut (7-6, 3-2 PCLL). Northeastern (10-2, 4-1 PCLL) won the conference championship game with a 12-5 win over New Hampshire (6-6, 3-2 PCLL) Sunday in Providence, R.I.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360: video newscast Sept. 29
- Pushing forward
- Quick Hits: Volleyball and women’s soccer begin MAC play, Roberts scores in...
- UB prepares for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- UB no longer buying McCarley Gardens
- The Spectrum sits down with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood
- UB hits ‘undo’ on a mistake in the making
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections