Quick Hits: Speckman's second no-hitter of season helps softball team claim first-ever MAC East titl
Senior pitcher Tori Speckman threw the fourth no-hitter in school history and her second of the season on Saturday in a 9-0, five-inning victory. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Softball (27-20, 11-5 Mid-American Conference)
The Bulls won their first-ever MAC East regular season championship after sweeping Kent State (24-18, 10-6 MAC) this weekend. Senior pitcher Tori Speckman threw the fourth no-hitter in school history and her second of the season on Saturday in a 9-0, five-inning victory. Speckman is the only Bull to ever throw more than one no-hitter in a career. Speckman delivered another great performance on Sunday, giving up just one run in a 2-1 win.
Buffalo will be the No. 2 seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament - its highest seed in just its third-ever appearance - and face Northern Illinois (22-29, 10-12 MAC) Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Athens, Ohio.
Baseball (21-18, 12-8 MAC)
The Bulls lost two of three against last-place Ohio (10-33, 5-15 MAC) this weekend in Athens, Ohio. After dropping the first game on Friday, 4-3, the Bulls found themselves trailing 5-1 early in the second game. Buffalo's offense emerged, however, and scored nine runs over the final eight innings for a 10-7 victory. Senior pitcher Mike Burke struggled in the final game Sunday, giving up 10 runs on 11 hits - only four of which were earned - in a 14-8 loss.
The Bulls host Niagara (15-24, 8-10 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) for a midweek three-game series. Buffalo will play Tuesday at 6 p.m. before a Wednesday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. All games will be at Amherst Audubon Field.
Men's lacrosse (7-7, 1-4 Pioneer Collegiate Lacrosse League)
The Bulls were eliminated from the PCLL playoffs on Friday in Tolland, Conn., after a first-round 6-5 overtime loss to Connecticut (7-6, 3-2 PCLL). Northeastern (10-2, 4-1 PCLL) won the conference championship game with a 12-5 win over New Hampshire (6-6, 3-2 PCLL) Sunday in Providence, R.I.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- A gen ed breakdown: understanding UB’s potential revamp
- UB screens students, monitors Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Volleyball ties for first place in Hoosier Classic
- Bulls lose last non-conference game
- How to get away with angering the journalistic community
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
- Quick Hits: Volleyball three-way ties for first place in tournament; Men’s...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses