Former Duke star Hurley introduced as new coach
Bobby Hurley takes over as men’s basketball coach
UB Athletic Director Danny White (right) introduced Hurley as the new men's basketball head coach March 26. Spectrum File Photo
In just 10 months on the job, Athletic Director Danny White has moved quickly to piece together coaching staffs that can help bring the Buffalo brand to a national level.
On Tuesday, just over two weeks after the firing of Reggie Witherspoon, White made another imprint on the Bulls' athletic department.
In front of a crowd of athletes, students and fans, White announced that former Duke basketball star Bobby Hurley will begin his era as head coach of the men's basketball team.
"We really scoured the country," White said. "This was a national search. We talked to assistant coaches from some of the highest-level programs in America. We talked to sitting head coaches. We dived in and looked at all different angles and feel we've found the very best coach for UB at this time."
Hurley, who served as an assistant coach for the past three seasons at Wagner University and Rhode Island University under his brother Dan, will get his first shot at a head coaching job.
Buffalo will go from having a well-known community figure in Witherspoon - who had finished coaching with a 198-228 record - to a coach who is brand new to leading a team.
For Hurley, this is a prospect for which he is humble.
"The opportunity is tremendous," Hurley said. "The chance to become coach of a Division I program. I'm honored to be coach at the University at Buffalo. I just think my wealth of my basketball life has prepared me for this moment and everything I've done as a player."
Although his resume does not include a head coaching job in the past, Hurley's days as a player back up White's decision.
As a point guard at Duke, Hurley was a part of two national title teams (1991-92) and received All-American honors and is still the record holder for assists in a career in NCAA Division I history (1076).
"I'm going to touch him; I'm going to touch him just to see what it feels like to touch a person who cut a net down at the last game of the entire season," said women's basketball head coach Felisha Legette-Jack. "I think that alone is going to be welcoming to the Buffalo community."
Sophomore forward Will Regan is excited to play for Hurley.
"What he's telling you, he's probably experienced it and you know he has a lot of information," Regan said. "I have only talked to him for 20 minutes or so. I'll learn a lot more. Someone from his background has a lot of knowledge to share with you, so you have to take it in."
Hurley inherits a team with already established stars in junior forward Javon McCrea, junior guard Jarod Oldham, freshman guard Jarryn Skeete and Regan. However, Hurley's game plan will be based upon the evaluation of his personnel, which he plans to look over.
"Offensively, I'd like to play a quicker style," Hurley said. "I am very guard-friendly having played point guard at a high level. I like to give my players freedom -within their abilities and limitation levels."
Hurley will share the success he has had as an assistant coach, his basketball IQ and success at Duke with the Bulls and hopes to take them to a higher level.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership