Eleven buildings on North Campus lose power
Eleven North Campus buildings lost power on Tuesday after one of the ceramic insulators and fuses failed on one bay of UB's substations, according to UB Spokesman John Della Contrada.
The outage lasted approximately one hour and affected classes and students.
Around 12:30 p.m., O'Brian, Jacobs, Norton, Bonner, Knox, Park and Talbert Halls, as well as UB Stadium, Lockwood Library and sections of Alumni Arena and Capen Hall lost power.
The Office of University Communications sent The Spectrum a press release with the time and day of the occurrence, but some students complained they were never alerted.
Barry Lee, a freshman chemical engineering major, was in his computer programming class when the power outage occurred.
"[UB could have sent] out an email or text to all the students alerting them about the problem," Lee said. "When the power went out, the Wi-Fi went out with it, but some people still had cell service as well. But no one knew what was going on and if class was going to be canceled."
UB Facilities crews responded and individually switched affected buildings to alternate feeds to restore power, according to Della Contrada.
"Power on campus is normally very reliable," he said. "The cause is being investigated."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Bulls survive scare with FCS opponent Duquesne
- Buffalo, we have a problem: Bulls performance against Duquesne should leave...
- Buffalo makes top 10 list for cities with best quality of life
- Spectrum 360: Football season preview video 2014
- Taking the field: Bull linebacker Lee Skinner's journey to UB
- The big men on campus
- The Licata way
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care