Eleven buildings on North Campus lose power
Eleven North Campus buildings lost power on Tuesday after one of the ceramic insulators and fuses failed on one bay of UB's substations, according to UB Spokesman John Della Contrada.
The outage lasted approximately one hour and affected classes and students.
Around 12:30 p.m., O'Brian, Jacobs, Norton, Bonner, Knox, Park and Talbert Halls, as well as UB Stadium, Lockwood Library and sections of Alumni Arena and Capen Hall lost power.
The Office of University Communications sent The Spectrum a press release with the time and day of the occurrence, but some students complained they were never alerted.
Barry Lee, a freshman chemical engineering major, was in his computer programming class when the power outage occurred.
"[UB could have sent] out an email or text to all the students alerting them about the problem," Lee said. "When the power went out, the Wi-Fi went out with it, but some people still had cell service as well. But no one knew what was going on and if class was going to be canceled."
UB Facilities crews responded and individually switched affected buildings to alternate feeds to restore power, according to Della Contrada.
"Power on campus is normally very reliable," he said. "The cause is being investigated."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls defeat MAC East leader behind largest home crowd in four years
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor