Eleven buildings on North Campus lose power
Eleven North Campus buildings lost power on Tuesday after one of the ceramic insulators and fuses failed on one bay of UB's substations, according to UB Spokesman John Della Contrada.
The outage lasted approximately one hour and affected classes and students.
Around 12:30 p.m., O'Brian, Jacobs, Norton, Bonner, Knox, Park and Talbert Halls, as well as UB Stadium, Lockwood Library and sections of Alumni Arena and Capen Hall lost power.
The Office of University Communications sent The Spectrum a press release with the time and day of the occurrence, but some students complained they were never alerted.
Barry Lee, a freshman chemical engineering major, was in his computer programming class when the power outage occurred.
"[UB could have sent] out an email or text to all the students alerting them about the problem," Lee said. "When the power went out, the Wi-Fi went out with it, but some people still had cell service as well. But no one knew what was going on and if class was going to be canceled."
UB Facilities crews responded and individually switched affected buildings to alternate feeds to restore power, according to Della Contrada.
"Power on campus is normally very reliable," he said. "The cause is being investigated."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!