UB's pediatric and general surgery residency programs no longer on probation
On Feb. 24, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) informed UB that its pediatric surgery and general surgery residency programs were no longer on probation and were granted full accreditation.
Last year, ACGME cited the general surgery program for the following issues: teamwork, engagement of the residents in planning and quality and lack of a robust system for monitoring duty hours.
Roseanne Berger, the senior associate dean of Graduate Medical Education, told The Spectrum in August the main issue with the pediatric surgery program - a fellowship program - was a shortage of pediatric surgeons to adequately train UB's two fellows.
Berger also said general surgery and pediatric surgery are in the process of modifying their programs to comply with ACGME's new standards.
"This very welcome decision on both the surgery and pediatric surgery residency programs at UB completely validates the changes implemented by the programs in order to address issues raised by the ACGME," Michael Cain told the UB Reporter.
UB closed its dermatology residency program in June last year. It was then reconfigured and was accredited, effective 2013.
According to the Reporter, changes that the surgery residency program has undertaken since 2011 include:
- Increased emphasis on teamwork and improved opportunities for communication between junior and senior residents and faculty.
- Implementation of protected conference time for residents.
- Requirement that residents undergo conflict resolution and teamwork training in a very productive collaboration with the UB School of Management.
- Specific criteria for faculty engagement, as well as new accountability measures.
- The hiring of nurse practitioners and physician assistants by partner hospitals.
- Enhancement of simulation and interdisciplinary skills training.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists