Quick Hits: Bulls look to ride Wednesday's momentum into key weekend matchups
Senior guard Jarod Oldham had a season-high 20 points in the Bulls' win over Akron Wednesday. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
Men's Basketball (15-8, 9-4 Mid-American Conference)
Buffalo defeated Akron (17-9, 9-4 MAC), 96-90, in front of 3,579 at Alumni Arena on Wednesday evening to earn a share of first place in the MAC East. Senior guards Joshua Freelove and Jarod Oldham and senior forward Javon McCrea had 21, 20 and 20 respectively. It was the first time since 1999 that three Bulls scored at least 20 points.
McCrea also recorded a double-double, grabbing 13 rebounds, and was two assists away from a triple-double. See a full game story and video report at ubspectrum.com.
The Bulls will play at Kent State (15-11, 6-7 MAC) Saturday. Buffalo defeated the Golden Flashes, 71-60, at Alumni Arena Jan. 18. Tip is set for noon.
Women's Basketball (15-9, 8-5 MAC)
The Bulls forced 29 turnovers in their 61-53 road victory over Kent State (5-19, 2-11 MAC) Wednesday evening. Sophomore guard Mackenzie Loesing led all scorers with 15 points, and Buffalo shot a season-best 88.2 percent from the foul line.
Next, UB returns home to face conference-leading Bowling Green (22-3, 12-1 MAC) Saturday. The Bulls lost to Bowling Green, 62-50, in the first MAC game of the season. Tip is set for 2 p.m. at Alumni Arena.
The Bulls open their season this weekend in Virginia after having three games against Davidson postponed last week. Buffalo will face Norfolk State (0-3) on Friday, Villanova (0-3) on Saturday and Quinnipiac on Sunday in the Spartan Classic. Friday and Saturday's start time is set for 11 a.m., and Sunday's first pitch is 10 a.m.
The Bulls come off their historic opening weekend and play five games this weekend at the Red and Blue Classic in Mississippi after a week off. Buffalo's first game is set for 9 a.m. on Friday, and the squad will close its weekend with an 11 a.m. game Sunday against Northern Colorado (0-5).
Men's Tennis (4-1)
Buffalo travels to Marist (1-0) after a 4-3 home victory last Saturday. The Bulls have won two straight. The match time is TBA.
Women's Tennis (4-1)
The Bulls travel to West Virginia (1-5) after consecutive 7-0 home victories the past two weekends. The match is set for 1 p.m.
Track & Field
The track & field teams will compete in the Cornell Denault in Ithaca this weekend.
Senior sprinter Asia Henry won MAC Track Athlete of the Week and senior thrower Jonathan Jones won MAC Field Athlete of the Week based on their performances in the SPIRE Division I Invite last weekend.
Wrestling (3-16, 0-7 MAC)
Buffalo looks for its first conference win of the season against Northern Illinois (6-11, 1-6 MAC) in the final match before the MAC Championships. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m. at Alumni Arena.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists