Quick Hits: Bulls look to ride Wednesday's momentum into key weekend matchups
Senior guard Jarod Oldham had a season-high 20 points in the Bulls' win over Akron Wednesday. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
Men's Basketball (15-8, 9-4 Mid-American Conference)
Buffalo defeated Akron (17-9, 9-4 MAC), 96-90, in front of 3,579 at Alumni Arena on Wednesday evening to earn a share of first place in the MAC East. Senior guards Joshua Freelove and Jarod Oldham and senior forward Javon McCrea had 21, 20 and 20 respectively. It was the first time since 1999 that three Bulls scored at least 20 points.
McCrea also recorded a double-double, grabbing 13 rebounds, and was two assists away from a triple-double. See a full game story and video report at ubspectrum.com.
The Bulls will play at Kent State (15-11, 6-7 MAC) Saturday. Buffalo defeated the Golden Flashes, 71-60, at Alumni Arena Jan. 18. Tip is set for noon.
Women's Basketball (15-9, 8-5 MAC)
The Bulls forced 29 turnovers in their 61-53 road victory over Kent State (5-19, 2-11 MAC) Wednesday evening. Sophomore guard Mackenzie Loesing led all scorers with 15 points, and Buffalo shot a season-best 88.2 percent from the foul line.
Next, UB returns home to face conference-leading Bowling Green (22-3, 12-1 MAC) Saturday. The Bulls lost to Bowling Green, 62-50, in the first MAC game of the season. Tip is set for 2 p.m. at Alumni Arena.
The Bulls open their season this weekend in Virginia after having three games against Davidson postponed last week. Buffalo will face Norfolk State (0-3) on Friday, Villanova (0-3) on Saturday and Quinnipiac on Sunday in the Spartan Classic. Friday and Saturday's start time is set for 11 a.m., and Sunday's first pitch is 10 a.m.
The Bulls come off their historic opening weekend and play five games this weekend at the Red and Blue Classic in Mississippi after a week off. Buffalo's first game is set for 9 a.m. on Friday, and the squad will close its weekend with an 11 a.m. game Sunday against Northern Colorado (0-5).
Men's Tennis (4-1)
Buffalo travels to Marist (1-0) after a 4-3 home victory last Saturday. The Bulls have won two straight. The match time is TBA.
Women's Tennis (4-1)
The Bulls travel to West Virginia (1-5) after consecutive 7-0 home victories the past two weekends. The match is set for 1 p.m.
Track & Field
The track & field teams will compete in the Cornell Denault in Ithaca this weekend.
Senior sprinter Asia Henry won MAC Track Athlete of the Week and senior thrower Jonathan Jones won MAC Field Athlete of the Week based on their performances in the SPIRE Division I Invite last weekend.
Wrestling (3-16, 0-7 MAC)
Buffalo looks for its first conference win of the season against Northern Illinois (6-11, 1-6 MAC) in the final match before the MAC Championships. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m. at Alumni Arena.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls defeat MAC East leader behind largest home crowd in four years
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor