School of Management resolves commencement scheduling conflict
The School of Management has changed its final exam schedule to end before UB's commencement ceremonies. Initially, the final exams overlapped with graduation.
Julie Farrell, the School of Management commencement coordinator, said her department moved back its exams to avoid potential conflicts for students.
The School of Management would be most impacted in the overlap of spring 2014 final exams and commencement ceremonies, said A. Scott Weber, the senior vice provost for academic affairs, in an email.
The final exam schedule was set for May 12-17, and the School of Management commencement was planned for May 16.
Farrell said the school noticed the conflict sometime before winter break and formed a committee to work with the Office of the Registrar and arrange exams to run Monday to Thursday.
"We worked very closely with the registrar's office to ensure our students would be set and be able to celebrate," Farrell said.
If there is a conflict with a general education exam and the ceremony, the student can contact the School of Management and they will work together with the faculty to reach a solution, according to Farrell.
The biomedical sciences commencement ceremony also fell during the final exam schedule on May 15.
Kelli Hickey, the senior academic advisor for biomedical sciences, said the school's commencement is usually the last day of final exams and they have had to work out issues in the past.
"This year, I am not aware of any conflicts during our ceremony, [but] some of our graduating seniors have exams afterwards," Hickey said in an email. "We have advised those students to communicate with their professors to see if they can work something out."
Weber also said students should contact their professors if there is an overlap, and professors should treat it as a normal exam conflict.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World