School of Management resolves commencement scheduling conflict
The School of Management has changed its final exam schedule to end before UB's commencement ceremonies. Initially, the final exams overlapped with graduation.
Julie Farrell, the School of Management commencement coordinator, said her department moved back its exams to avoid potential conflicts for students.
The School of Management would be most impacted in the overlap of spring 2014 final exams and commencement ceremonies, said A. Scott Weber, the senior vice provost for academic affairs, in an email.
The final exam schedule was set for May 12-17, and the School of Management commencement was planned for May 16.
Farrell said the school noticed the conflict sometime before winter break and formed a committee to work with the Office of the Registrar and arrange exams to run Monday to Thursday.
"We worked very closely with the registrar's office to ensure our students would be set and be able to celebrate," Farrell said.
If there is a conflict with a general education exam and the ceremony, the student can contact the School of Management and they will work together with the faculty to reach a solution, according to Farrell.
The biomedical sciences commencement ceremony also fell during the final exam schedule on May 15.
Kelli Hickey, the senior academic advisor for biomedical sciences, said the school's commencement is usually the last day of final exams and they have had to work out issues in the past.
"This year, I am not aware of any conflicts during our ceremony, [but] some of our graduating seniors have exams afterwards," Hickey said in an email. "We have advised those students to communicate with their professors to see if they can work something out."
Weber also said students should contact their professors if there is an overlap, and professors should treat it as a normal exam conflict.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!