School of Management resolves commencement scheduling conflict
The School of Management has changed its final exam schedule to end before UB's commencement ceremonies. Initially, the final exams overlapped with graduation.
Julie Farrell, the School of Management commencement coordinator, said her department moved back its exams to avoid potential conflicts for students.
The School of Management would be most impacted in the overlap of spring 2014 final exams and commencement ceremonies, said A. Scott Weber, the senior vice provost for academic affairs, in an email.
The final exam schedule was set for May 12-17, and the School of Management commencement was planned for May 16.
Farrell said the school noticed the conflict sometime before winter break and formed a committee to work with the Office of the Registrar and arrange exams to run Monday to Thursday.
"We worked very closely with the registrar's office to ensure our students would be set and be able to celebrate," Farrell said.
If there is a conflict with a general education exam and the ceremony, the student can contact the School of Management and they will work together with the faculty to reach a solution, according to Farrell.
The biomedical sciences commencement ceremony also fell during the final exam schedule on May 15.
Kelli Hickey, the senior academic advisor for biomedical sciences, said the school's commencement is usually the last day of final exams and they have had to work out issues in the past.
"This year, I am not aware of any conflicts during our ceremony, [but] some of our graduating seniors have exams afterwards," Hickey said in an email. "We have advised those students to communicate with their professors to see if they can work something out."
Weber also said students should contact their professors if there is an overlap, and professors should treat it as a normal exam conflict.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Bulls survive scare with FCS opponent Duquesne
- Buffalo, we have a problem: Bulls performance against Duquesne should leave...
- Buffalo makes top 10 list for cities with best quality of life
- Spectrum 360: Football season preview video 2014
- Taking the field: Bull linebacker Lee Skinner's journey to UB
- The big men on campus
- The Licata way
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care