School of Management resolves commencement scheduling conflict
The School of Management has changed its final exam schedule to end before UB's commencement ceremonies. Initially, the final exams overlapped with graduation.
Julie Farrell, the School of Management commencement coordinator, said her department moved back its exams to avoid potential conflicts for students.
The School of Management would be most impacted in the overlap of spring 2014 final exams and commencement ceremonies, said A. Scott Weber, the senior vice provost for academic affairs, in an email.
The final exam schedule was set for May 12-17, and the School of Management commencement was planned for May 16.
Farrell said the school noticed the conflict sometime before winter break and formed a committee to work with the Office of the Registrar and arrange exams to run Monday to Thursday.
"We worked very closely with the registrar's office to ensure our students would be set and be able to celebrate," Farrell said.
If there is a conflict with a general education exam and the ceremony, the student can contact the School of Management and they will work together with the faculty to reach a solution, according to Farrell.
The biomedical sciences commencement ceremony also fell during the final exam schedule on May 15.
Kelli Hickey, the senior academic advisor for biomedical sciences, said the school's commencement is usually the last day of final exams and they have had to work out issues in the past.
"This year, I am not aware of any conflicts during our ceremony, [but] some of our graduating seniors have exams afterwards," Hickey said in an email. "We have advised those students to communicate with their professors to see if they can work something out."
Weber also said students should contact their professors if there is an overlap, and professors should treat it as a normal exam conflict.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists