Danny Brown preaches to the mob in Buffalo
On Wednesday night, Detroit hip-hop artist Danny Brown took the stage at the Waiting Room in downtown Buffalo. He was accompanied by guests Bodega Bamz and Zelooperz. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
In the lull leading up to Danny Brown's performance, security guards broke up two near fist-fights. Brown's palpable energy fueled a rowdy crowd.
The 33-year-old rapper, on the latter half of his international, 48-concert tour, performed at The Waiting Room on Delaware Avenue Wednesday. Brown is on tour promoting his third studio album, Old.
The openers, Bodega Bamz and ZelooperZ, had primed the raucous crowd into a near frenzy for Brown's entrance. When his performance finally began after 2.5 hours, Brown riled the attendees into a frenzy in the tightly packed Waiting Room. At least eight people were escorted out by security guards, who were forced to shove their way through the sweaty, packed crowd to keep spectators from getting out of control.
As for the performance itself, Brown went through his set, which included crowd favorites like "Break It" and "Dip." Brown also threw a few surprises in, such as "BlueBerry," a song Brown featured on with English DJ Darq E. Freaker - a song choice fans responded to loudly.
For concertgoer Michael Haar, the best song of the night was "Monopoly." Haar, a Buffalo native and Canisius College student, described the concert as an intimate and suffocating experience.
Brown riled up fans, jumping, pumping his fists and often running along the edge of the crowd to touch people's hands. During one of the peaks of the crowd's rowdiness, Brown urged attendees to get creative in his song "Express Yourself." During the performance, multiple fans attempted to jump on their neighbor's shoulders and crowd surf.
One of the most memorable parts of the show was the humidity. The number of people in a small space made the room sweltering. During some points of the show, performers tossed water bottles to people stretching out their hands and trying to stave off the heat.
The volume of the concert only added to the experience, as huge speakers sent pounding bass and vocal waves across the small venue.
"I lost hearing in both of my ears," said Brianna Harris, a Buffalo native who came from Columbia College in Chicago to see Brown.
Harris said the show was nothing short of amazing.
The wildness of the fans was what really made the concert notable. The crowd resembled a mob by the end of the night. Brown gave an incredible performance, but being in a mass of shoving, jumping bodies and hoarse screams gave the concert's atmosphere an indescribable charm, as winning as it was thrilling.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge