Quick Hits: Games canceled due to weather; McCrea named finalist for award
The baseball team split its games with conference rival Ball State this weekend in Rochester. The third and final game of the series on Sunday was canceled due to weather. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
Men's Basketball (19-11, 13-6 Mid-American Conference)
Senior forward Javon McCrea was named one of the 30 finalists for the Lou Henson award Friday. The award is given to the nation's top mid-major player. McCrea was named MAC Player of the Year and finished his UB career as the program's all-time leading scorer with 2,004 career points. The winner will be announced at the CollegeInsider.com Awards Banquet April 4.
Baseball (11-9, 3-2 MAC)
The Bulls faced Ball State (17-10, 4-1 MAC) this weekend at Monroe Community College in Rochester for what was supposed to be a three-game series. The Bulls split the first two games with the Cardinals, but the last game of the series was canceled on Sunday due to weather.
The Bulls defeated the Cardinals, 14-13, in 11 innings in a game that started on Friday, but had to be finished Saturday.
Buffalo faced an early 8-0 deficit and trailed 13-9 heading into the final three innings. The Bulls tied the game at 13 in the bottom of the ninth, but play was suspended due to darkness.
The Bulls went on to win in the 11th on Saturday after senior infielder/pitcher Mike Burke hit a double to right field to score sophomore infielder Tyler Mautner.
On Saturday, the Bulls had just four hits in a 5-2 loss against the Cardinals' All-American pitcher, Scott Baker.
Buffalo plays at St. Bonaventure (4-14, 0-4 Atlantic 10) in a doubleheader Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Fred Handler Park.
Men's Lacrosse (4-2)
Buffalo fell 12-3 to No. 5 Michigan State (7-2, 3-0 Central Collegiate Lacrosse Association) on Saturday in East Lansing, Mich. Buffalo took a 2-1 lead in the first quarter but was outscored 11-1 for the rest of the game.
The Bulls begin conference play next weekend as they host rival No. 4 Boston College (5-2, 0-1 Pioneer Collegiate Lacrosse League) Friday at 7:30 p.m. The Bulls will also host Pittsburgh (3-3, 1-1 CCLA) Sunday at noon. Both games will be held at Kunz Field.
The Bulls were set to begin conference play this weekend at home against Ball State (18-11) and Miami Ohio (13-15, 2-0 MAC), but the games were canceled due to weather and will not be made up.
Buffalo returns to the field when it travels to Canisius (6-17) for a doubleheader Tuesday. The first game will begin at 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists