Turner Battle was named the Mid-American Conference East Division Men's Basketball Player of the Week on Monday. Battle was the major force behind the Bulls' two wins over MAC rivals Ball State and Akron.
Battle scored 20 points, pulled in nine rebounds and added three assists in Sunday's 89-83 victory over Ball State. The win was the Buffalo's first win over the Cardinals since joining the MAC in 1998 and pushed UB into a tie for third place in the MAC East.
Against Akron Battle dropped a career high 26 points, including a perfect 4-for-4 from 3-point land. He also shut down Akron's Derrick Tarver, one of the MAC's premier players, at the defensive end.
In all, Battle averaged 23 points, 6.5 rebounds 4.5 assists and 2.5 steals in the two games.
Track and Field
The men and women's track and field teams took part in the Penn State National Meet over the weekend. While there was no team scoring, several Bulls posted strong individual marks.
Roy Richards, a sophomore jumper, had made the biggest waves for UB at the meet which featured big name teams like Syracuse, Villanova and Navy broke the UB record with a leap of 2 feet 1.75 inches and won the men's long jump title.
Andy Wigton also set a school record with a 8:32.55 showing in the 3,000-meter run. Wigton's mark placed him 14th out of 51 competitors.
On the women's side, Allison Laske placed eighth in the 800, earning her a spot in the ECAC championships.
Sarah Vance finished fifth in the women's shot put with a throw of 45 feet and 1.5 inches. The throw was her best of the season, beating her old best by almost two feet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
- Quick Hits: Volleyball three-way ties for first place in tournament; Men’s...
- The Spectrum’s Top 5: What you missed this week
- Don't Ask Anne: Schoolwork, dorming and pre-registration requirements
- UB hosts high-flying, firework-filled carnival as part of Family Weekend
- UB's Tailgate Concert Series continues with The Spin Doctors
- Buffalo’s defense finally shows up
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses