Turner Battle was named the Mid-American Conference East Division Men's Basketball Player of the Week on Monday. Battle was the major force behind the Bulls' two wins over MAC rivals Ball State and Akron.
Battle scored 20 points, pulled in nine rebounds and added three assists in Sunday's 89-83 victory over Ball State. The win was the Buffalo's first win over the Cardinals since joining the MAC in 1998 and pushed UB into a tie for third place in the MAC East.
Against Akron Battle dropped a career high 26 points, including a perfect 4-for-4 from 3-point land. He also shut down Akron's Derrick Tarver, one of the MAC's premier players, at the defensive end.
In all, Battle averaged 23 points, 6.5 rebounds 4.5 assists and 2.5 steals in the two games.
Track and Field
The men and women's track and field teams took part in the Penn State National Meet over the weekend. While there was no team scoring, several Bulls posted strong individual marks.
Roy Richards, a sophomore jumper, had made the biggest waves for UB at the meet which featured big name teams like Syracuse, Villanova and Navy broke the UB record with a leap of 2 feet 1.75 inches and won the men's long jump title.
Andy Wigton also set a school record with a 8:32.55 showing in the 3,000-meter run. Wigton's mark placed him 14th out of 51 competitors.
On the women's side, Allison Laske placed eighth in the 800, earning her a spot in the ECAC championships.
Sarah Vance finished fifth in the women's shot put with a throw of 45 feet and 1.5 inches. The throw was her best of the season, beating her old best by almost two feet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Bulls survive scare with FCS opponent Duquesne
- Buffalo, we have a problem: Bulls performance against Duquesne should leave...
- Buffalo makes top 10 list for cities with best quality of life
- Spectrum 360: Football season preview video 2014
- Taking the field: Bull linebacker Lee Skinner's journey to UB
- The big men on campus
- The Licata way
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care