Turner Battle was named the Mid-American Conference East Division Men's Basketball Player of the Week on Monday. Battle was the major force behind the Bulls' two wins over MAC rivals Ball State and Akron.
Battle scored 20 points, pulled in nine rebounds and added three assists in Sunday's 89-83 victory over Ball State. The win was the Buffalo's first win over the Cardinals since joining the MAC in 1998 and pushed UB into a tie for third place in the MAC East.
Against Akron Battle dropped a career high 26 points, including a perfect 4-for-4 from 3-point land. He also shut down Akron's Derrick Tarver, one of the MAC's premier players, at the defensive end.
In all, Battle averaged 23 points, 6.5 rebounds 4.5 assists and 2.5 steals in the two games.
Track and Field
The men and women's track and field teams took part in the Penn State National Meet over the weekend. While there was no team scoring, several Bulls posted strong individual marks.
Roy Richards, a sophomore jumper, had made the biggest waves for UB at the meet which featured big name teams like Syracuse, Villanova and Navy broke the UB record with a leap of 2 feet 1.75 inches and won the men's long jump title.
Andy Wigton also set a school record with a 8:32.55 showing in the 3,000-meter run. Wigton's mark placed him 14th out of 51 competitors.
On the women's side, Allison Laske placed eighth in the 800, earning her a spot in the ECAC championships.
Sarah Vance finished fifth in the women's shot put with a throw of 45 feet and 1.5 inches. The throw was her best of the season, beating her old best by almost two feet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World