Sade Cadle for treasurer
When it comes to treasurer, getting the most out of our Mandatory Student Activity Fee is vital, but so is professionalism, so it should come as no surprise that Value Party treasurer Sade Cadle gets our endorsement.
A business major and current treasurer of the Black Student Union, which has the largest budget of any SA club, Cadle brings valuable experience (including money management know-how from an internship) and maturity to the position. With a nearly $4 million budget for SA, both qualities are necessary of the person who primarily handles the funds on a day-to-day basis.
Cadle had the majority of the editorial board's support, with the remainder split between the qualified Juan Jimenez of the Impact Party and the admirable Ali Ahmed running as an independent.
Jimenez suffered from the same idealistic proposals as his president and VP and a presentation that displayed some haughtiness - which is the last thing you want to see from a potential treasurer. His presentation left some on the board unconvinced.
Ahmed, who dressed informally to display himself as an everyman, came across as genuine and sincere, and we applaud his initiative to make a difference. The hopeful lacked concrete or specific proposals, however, making his bid unsuccessful.
Cadle continued Value's reserved, measured approach with attainable goals. Streamlining office hours, improving club reimbursement procedures and improving transparency form the core of her proposals.
Jimenez, likewise, restated his party's plans for a tiered club funding system, with other proposals centered solely on clubs. His plans lack vetting and his criticisms of the current treasurer quickly moved from constructive to unwarranted. Though his resume was the best in the room, experience must be balanced with professionalism and trustworthiness in this position.
Ahmed's bold run for the office is commendable, but he lacks the preparation and solid plans the job demands. It is clear he cares deeply for SA, though, and we hope he will continue working for the organization in other capacities.
Ultimately, Cadle's experience and presentation, with lucid and well-articulated plans, deserve support; she is the superior choice for treasurer. Cadle exudes exactly the qualities we should seek in the individual managing our funds.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360 newscast: Sept. 21, 2014
- A gen ed breakdown: understanding UB’s potential revamp
- UB screens students, monitors Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Volleyball ties for first place in Hoosier Classic
- Bulls lose last non-conference game
- How to get away with angering the journalistic community
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections