Bulls finish regular season with a thud
Men’s tennis drops final two regular season matches, will be No.4 seed in MAC Tournament
Junior Sebastian Ionescu and the men’s tennis team dropped both of their final two matches of the regular season this weekend. The Bulls face top-seeded Northern Illinois on Friday in the semifinals of the MAC Tournament. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
The Buffalo men's tennis team thought it was going to have a breath of fresh air after this past weekend. Not only was it looking forward to its first outdoor Mid-American Conference matchup of the season, but also hoping to gain confidence going into the playoffs.
The Bulls didn't bare the outdoors particularly well, but they still earned a spot in the MAC Tournament due to other school's losses.
The Bulls (11-7, 1-3 MAC) finished up their regular season with a pair of losses on the road, losing 5-2 to conference rivals Northern Illinois (18-5, 4-0 MAC) and Ball State (12-11, 2-2 MAC), 6-1.
Buffalo clinched the fourth seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament as it held the head-to-head tiebreaker with Western Michigan (13-11,1-3 MAC).
Head coach Lee Nickell said some of the players were "under the weather" and it was evident in two dismal performances.
In the first game against the Huskies, juniors Damien David and Sebastian Ionescu won their singles matches at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, respectively. After The remainder of the team was swept in singles matches, however, as Buffalo lost 5-2.
David's impressive play from the last match two weeks ago against Western Michigan in doubles play. The other two Buffalo doubles teams lost, however, giving the Huskies the double point.
It didn't get any better against Ball State, with another loss in doubles and a near-sweep in singles. David was the only Bull to post a victory, prevailing 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 at No. 1 singles.
"We had an early lead, but we didn't quite finish like we should [have]," Nickell said.
The Bulls had shining moments of success throughout the season - including their first-ever national ranking - but they dropped four of their last five matches heading into the postseason. Despite the recent setbacks on the road, the Bulls will be ready to play come playoff time, according to Nickell.
"We're [going to] work," Nickell said. "We've got to start by flying on a plane to Chicago to play Northern Illinois.
The Bulls will be the No. 4 seed in the MAC Tournament starting this Friday in Muncie, Ill. The Bulls begin their quest for their first-ever MAC championship against top-seeded Northern Illinois (18-5, 4-0 MAC) at 10 a.m. in the semifinals.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls defeat MAC East leader behind largest home crowd in four years
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor