Senior Managing Editor
As a New York City native, I thought I knew it all. The Big Apple is known for the bluntness of its individuals, diverse culture, and a larger-than-life ethos. I proudly took all of those characteristics with me when I decided to become an English major at UB. I thought I instantly one-upped these Buffalo natives just by being a Brooklynite.
I'm twice as headstrong as I was back then, but I will still admit I was wrong.
Buffalo is much smaller than New York City, but it too has a story to tell. It's a huge part of our job to tell that story. Additionally, there are passionate people behind these stories, whether they are in the local music scene or in sports - especially sports.
Another thing that I've took away during my three years at The Spectrum concerns the importance of discourse. One of the great things that the objectivism of true journalism does is that it forces us to ask ourselves the questions. We only truly find out who we are in our search for answers. College is essentially about finding out who we are, which is why college publications like The Spectrum are so important.
A lot of students expect me to have the answers because of my experiences as an editor for the sports and arts desk. I say "I don't know" to a lot of them because I wouldn't know where to begin for those answers.
Lastly, part of what has motivated me to work with The Spectrum for so long is that there are so many things wrong with Buffalo and UB. But at the same time there's an equal amount of things right.
But don't get me wrong - Brooklyn all day, every day.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses