Bulls swept by MAC-leading Miami Ohio
Baseball team experiences fourth straight loss
Freshman pitcher Alec Tuohy throws a pitch for Buffalo from earlier in the season. The Bulls have dropped their last four games. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
The baseball team has found itself in a familiar situation. Three straight games have resulted in three straight losses, this time from Mid-American Conference leading Miami Ohio (26-25, 15-9 MAC).
The Bulls (22-22, 12-11 MAC) lost 5-4 on Sunday. Buffalo threatened in the ninth inning - loading the bases - but failed to score. Friday's game was postponed due to rain and pushed into Saturday, resulting in a 9-8 11-inning loss. Saturday's normally scheduled game ensued, and the Bulls fell 9-7. The weekend marks the fourth consecutive loss for UB.
Friday's extended game marked what would have been one of Buffalo's biggest comebacks of the year. The Redhawks took advantage of several UB errors resulting in five unanswered and a 8-3 deficit.
The Bulls, however, managed to record five runs in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game at eight. Sophomore infielder Tyler Mautner started the Bulls' rally with a two run home run to bring in senior outfielder Matt Pollock. Freshman outfielder Vinny Mallaro singled up the middle to score senior Mike Burke, before freshman infielder Chris Kwitzer hit a two-RBI double.
Not only was Buffalo fighting against the Redhawks Sunday evening, but also the wind. Gusts of wind reached 30 miles per hour.
After a 10-minute delay, the game was postponed into Saturday, but Buffalo failed to capitalize on a bases loaded opportunity in the 11th inning. The Redhawks hit a two-out double and a single to score the game-winning run.
Buffalo began the ensuing game with a large deficit - 8-2 after six innings. But after back-to-back doubles from senior outfielder Jimmy Topps and sophomore outfielder Nick Sinay, the Bulls cut the game to 8-4.
Mautner doubled to left field in the eighth inning to pull the game to 8-7. The Redhawks added an insurance run in the ninth and hit six doubles and three home runs in the game en route to the victory.
On Sunday, a Buffalo comeback was prevented with the bases loaded, this time falling 5-4 in nine innings.
The Bulls continue play Tuesday in a doubleheader against Big 4 rival St. Bonaventure (11-28, 5-15 Atlantic 10 Conference), with the final games of the regular season rapping up against Bowling Green (23-23, 14-11 MAC) Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Tuesday's doubleheader begins at 2 p.m. Thursday's game against Bowling Green begins at 3 p.m., with Friday's and Saturday's set for 1 p.m.
This weekend's games against Bowling Green are crucial for the Bull's chances of earning a spot in the MAC tournament, as the team has fallen to fourth place, just behind Bowling Green.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World