Buffalo softball falls in MAC Championship game
Senior pitcher Tori Speckman and the Bulls' season came to a conclusion Saturday following a 4-0 loss to Ohio in the MAC Championship. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Buffalo softball's historic season came to a finish Saturday.
The Bulls (30-22) lost to Ohio (32-24) 4-0 in the Mid-American Championship game Saturday. Buffalo began the day with a 7-2 victory over Northern Illinois (26-31) to advance to the championship.
The team entered the MAC Tournament as the No. 2 seed - its best since joining the conference. This was also its first trip to the MAC Championship and first winning season since 2004.
Buffalo's offense struggled to do much against Bobcat starting pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey. Dorsey took the game over, not only with her pitching, but her hitting. Her solo homerun in the fifth inning was the Bobcats first of three runs as they built a comfortable lead heading into the final innings. Ohio's final two runs came on a sacrifice fly in the fifth inning.
Dorsey pitched all seven inning, allowing only five hits and striking out 10 batters. Dorsey started four Ohio games during the tournament and only allowed one run.
Buffalo threatened in the following inning with back-to-back singles to start the inning, but Dorsey retired the next three batters to halt any potential comeback.
Senior pitcher Tori Speckman allowed two earned runs on nine hits and recorded three strikeouts in the loss.
The Bulls' success throughout the season was largely due to their strong senior class. Speckman finished the season in the circle for Buffalo, much as she did throughout the year. Speckman rewrote the Buffalo softball record books this season.
Her 37 starts, 244.2 innings, 228 strikeouts and 22 victories are all program-bests for a single season. Speckman ended her career as Buffalo's all-time leader in games (147), starts (98), innings pitched (649.2) and victories (48). Her 530 career strikeouts is just six behind Stacey Evans for the best in school history.
Senior shortstop Sammi Gallardo finished the season with 16 homeruns - a single-season program record - and a team-leading 42 RBIs. Gallardo set the single-season home run record with 30, breaking Breanne Nasti's record of 27 from 2001-04, and was one RBI shy of tying the single-season record.
Senior centerfielder Holly Luciano led Buffalo with 53 hits. Lucianio, Gallardo and Speckman all earned First-Team All-MAC honors.
Speckman pitched all seven innings in Buffalo's morning victory against Northern Illinois. The Bulls' six-run third inning catapulted them to the 7-2 victory.
Both of Buffalo's losses in the MAC Tournament came to Ohio. Ohio finished the tournament undefeated and earned the conference's automatic berth to the national tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections