Bobcats beat Bulls with strong performance at the line
Sophomore guard Karin Moss led her squad with 19 points off the bench in the Bulls' loss Thursday night. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Ohio won this game at the free throw line.
The Bobcats (9-17, 4-11 Mid-American Conference) made 32 of 43 free throw attempts, recording the most made and second-most attempted free throws for opponents against Buffalo this season. The UB women's basketball team (15-11, 8-7 MAC) just could not keep Ohio off the foul line, leading to an 83-71 loss.
The Bulls started the game sluggish with quick turnovers and missed shots. The Bobcats took advantage, jumping out to an early 7-0 lead. After a couple quick timeouts from head coach Felisha Legette-Jack, the Bulls found their stride as they closed the gap to 10-6.
"I just told them they have to hold each other accountable and bring more energy to the court," Legette-Jack said. "We were able to ignite that, but [the Bobcats] just had the momentum on their side."
Both teams had trouble keeping control of the ball early, as they combined for nine turnovers in the first seven minutes.
After trading baskets until the last seven minutes of the half, it was Ohio that ended the half up 40-30.
Ohio almost tripled Buffalo's free throw attempts and shot 6 for 11 from three. The Bulls could not keep up with the up-tempo Bobcats, as they shot 40 percent from the field and continued their inefficient three-point shooting.
The Bobcats continued their offensive push into the second half, keeping their 10-point lead after the first four minutes. The Bulls were able to cut into the lead with a 7-2 run, which brought them within five points.
Buffalo kept it close throughout the rest of the second half but couldn't make the extra push. Buffalo's 13-12 advantage at 11:26 in the first half was their only lead.
Although the Bulls were able to outshoot Ohio, 43.3 percent to 40.7 percent, the Bobcats went to the free throw line 28 more times. Ohio outscored the Bulls by 20 points at the line.
"Every time we've ever played Ohio, we've had significant more free throws, so I'd like to figure out what really transpired through watching the film," Legette-Jack said.
Sophomore guard Karin Moss led Buffalo with 19 points off the bench. Junior forward Christa Baccas was second on the team in scoring with 14 points; she added seven rebounds and two steals. Senior guard Margeaux Gupilan led the team with five assists to go along with eight points.
With three games left on the schedule, Buffalo will need to win in order to keep its fourth-place standing heading into the MAC Tournament. Currently, the Bulls are tied with Western Michigan and Toledo - all three teams sit at 8-7 in conference play.
The Bulls will travel to Miami Ohio (7-19, 3-12 MAC) this Saturday for a 2 p.m. tip. This will be Buffalo's last regular season road game before it comes home for its final two games of the season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”