UB's 168th University Commencement approaches
As the academic year comes to a close, the university and graduating seniors will be preparing for commencement. UB's 15 graduation ceremonies will be taking place May 2-18, and approximately 5,500 undergraduate and graduate students will be receiving degrees.
The 2014 commencement season will begin with the School of Medical and Biomedical Sciences ceremony, which will take place in the Center For the Arts. Each department's ceremonies will take place the following two weeks, alternating between Alumni Arena and the CFA.
May 18, President Satish K. Tripathi will speak at the University Commencement, which will begin at 10 a.m. Other speakers during the commencement ceremonies include: Nancy H. Nielsen, MD '76, senior associate dean for health policy, UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, who will also receive the UB President's Medal in recognition of extraordinary service to the university; Steven A. Guttenberg, president of the Washington Institute for Mouth, Face and Jaw Surgery, Washington, D.C.; and U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly of Indiana.
Majorie T. Breslawski will be the student speaker.
UB's highest honor, the Chancellor P. Norton Medal, will be presented posthumously to Ralph Wilson Jr., founder and 54-year owner of the Buffalo Bills, who passed away in March.
Forty-two students will also receive awards, including the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence, the Outstanding Senior Award from the College of Arts and Sciences and the Student Affairs Senior Leadership Award - awarded to Marc Pierre.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership