UB's 168th University Commencement approaches
As the academic year comes to a close, the university and graduating seniors will be preparing for commencement. UB's 15 graduation ceremonies will be taking place May 2-18, and approximately 5,500 undergraduate and graduate students will be receiving degrees.
The 2014 commencement season will begin with the School of Medical and Biomedical Sciences ceremony, which will take place in the Center For the Arts. Each department's ceremonies will take place the following two weeks, alternating between Alumni Arena and the CFA.
May 18, President Satish K. Tripathi will speak at the University Commencement, which will begin at 10 a.m. Other speakers during the commencement ceremonies include: Nancy H. Nielsen, MD '76, senior associate dean for health policy, UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, who will also receive the UB President's Medal in recognition of extraordinary service to the university; Steven A. Guttenberg, president of the Washington Institute for Mouth, Face and Jaw Surgery, Washington, D.C.; and U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly of Indiana.
Majorie T. Breslawski will be the student speaker.
UB's highest honor, the Chancellor P. Norton Medal, will be presented posthumously to Ralph Wilson Jr., founder and 54-year owner of the Buffalo Bills, who passed away in March.
Forty-two students will also receive awards, including the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence, the Outstanding Senior Award from the College of Arts and Sciences and the Student Affairs Senior Leadership Award - awarded to Marc Pierre.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...