UB's 168th University Commencement approaches
As the academic year comes to a close, the university and graduating seniors will be preparing for commencement. UB's 15 graduation ceremonies will be taking place May 2-18, and approximately 5,500 undergraduate and graduate students will be receiving degrees.
The 2014 commencement season will begin with the School of Medical and Biomedical Sciences ceremony, which will take place in the Center For the Arts. Each department's ceremonies will take place the following two weeks, alternating between Alumni Arena and the CFA.
May 18, President Satish K. Tripathi will speak at the University Commencement, which will begin at 10 a.m. Other speakers during the commencement ceremonies include: Nancy H. Nielsen, MD '76, senior associate dean for health policy, UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, who will also receive the UB President's Medal in recognition of extraordinary service to the university; Steven A. Guttenberg, president of the Washington Institute for Mouth, Face and Jaw Surgery, Washington, D.C.; and U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly of Indiana.
Majorie T. Breslawski will be the student speaker.
UB's highest honor, the Chancellor P. Norton Medal, will be presented posthumously to Ralph Wilson Jr., founder and 54-year owner of the Buffalo Bills, who passed away in March.
Forty-two students will also receive awards, including the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence, the Outstanding Senior Award from the College of Arts and Sciences and the Student Affairs Senior Leadership Award - awarded to Marc Pierre.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
- Easy A(rts): UB's best introductory art courses
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor