Game fuel: Food to keep the game going and the stomach rolling
Being a gamer is a ton of fun, but it comes with a lot of difficult choices. The experience involves what game to play and which platform to play it on, but of equal importance: what to eat. It's difficult to choose between pretzels or chips, a chicken Panini or a burrito. Sure, you could take a break in the middle of a great single-player experience like The Last of Us and eat some pizza or nachos. But why not eat a burrito or wrap and keep the analog sticks moving instead - keeping the controller clean and the game in motion?
Regardless of what game I'm diving into, whether it's League of Legends, Battlefield 4 orThe Last of Us (Playstation 3), a good gaming session isn't complete without good food. Here are some of my favorite picks for food to eat while gaming.
Tortilla chips or pretzels
Although they may not be a substantial source of sustenance, they are easy to eat while playing. A cup of pretzels or tortilla chips with salsa are reliable snacks. They keep yourhands relatively clean and they're delicious.
Doritos are involved in many gaming promotions, like the recent 'every 2 minutes' Xbox One giveaway, but that doesn't make them the right choice to eat while gaming. The flaky powder that covers each chip can quickly turn fingertips into an orange, powdery mess - not to mention the mouse, keyboard or controller with which you're playing.
The Buffalo area is home to a many outstanding pizzerias that offer distinctive and delectable tastes - even on simple cheese-and-pepperoni pizzas.
Pizza is certainly not the healthiest option while you're gaming, but it is loaded with enough carbohydrates to keep you energized for a long time.
The oily and sometimes messy nature of pizza might not make an ideal plate when playing games, but if your favorite food is pizza, then a little mess is worth it.
I've been eating grilled cheese sandwiches for as long as I can remember. They bring out a childlike nostalgia when I'm playing that is hard to surpass. That being said, my favorite sandwich is a chicken Panini from Kostas Family Restaurant on Hertel Avenue. It might not be the best Panini in Buffalo, but the sautÃ©ed onions, peppers, lightly toasted bread and chicken is the perfect blend of crunchy and chewy.
For the most part, sandwiches are great for gaming sessions. They're easy to make and eat, and as long as they aren't loaded with dressings or oil, they're usually pretty clean, too.
I've always enjoyed sandwiches and pizza when I'm playing games, but lately I've been going to Chipotle a lot. Burritos are a hard bargain to beat, they offer a slightly healthier alternative to pizza and they are a more filling alternative to most of my favorite sandwiches. They're great for gaming for the same reasons as sandwiches, but have the added benefit of being contained in a tortilla shell.
Water or coke zero
As a general rule, when I'm sitting down to play games for hours on end, I try to avoid regular pop and beverages that are high in sugar, calories and carbs. Drinks that are high in caffeine and ginseng can help keep you alert and focused, but I'd much rather eat my calories in a burrito or slice of pizza than drink them in a glass of Mountain Dew.
Coke Zero might not replicate the taste of regular Coca Cola, but it's good enough for me. Almost any beverage will work for most gaming situations, but don't forget to balance your beverage of choice with plenty of water.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360 newscast: Sept. 21, 2014
- A gen ed breakdown: understanding UB’s potential revamp
- UB screens students, monitors Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Volleyball ties for first place in Hoosier Classic
- Bulls lose last non-conference game
- How to get away with angering the journalistic community
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections