Game fuel: Food to keep the game going and the stomach rolling
Being a gamer is a ton of fun, but it comes with a lot of difficult choices. The experience involves what game to play and which platform to play it on, but of equal importance: what to eat. It's difficult to choose between pretzels or chips, a chicken Panini or a burrito. Sure, you could take a break in the middle of a great single-player experience like The Last of Us and eat some pizza or nachos. But why not eat a burrito or wrap and keep the analog sticks moving instead - keeping the controller clean and the game in motion?
Regardless of what game I'm diving into, whether it's League of Legends, Battlefield 4 orThe Last of Us (Playstation 3), a good gaming session isn't complete without good food. Here are some of my favorite picks for food to eat while gaming.
Tortilla chips or pretzels
Although they may not be a substantial source of sustenance, they are easy to eat while playing. A cup of pretzels or tortilla chips with salsa are reliable snacks. They keep yourhands relatively clean and they're delicious.
Doritos are involved in many gaming promotions, like the recent 'every 2 minutes' Xbox One giveaway, but that doesn't make them the right choice to eat while gaming. The flaky powder that covers each chip can quickly turn fingertips into an orange, powdery mess - not to mention the mouse, keyboard or controller with which you're playing.
The Buffalo area is home to a many outstanding pizzerias that offer distinctive and delectable tastes - even on simple cheese-and-pepperoni pizzas.
Pizza is certainly not the healthiest option while you're gaming, but it is loaded with enough carbohydrates to keep you energized for a long time.
The oily and sometimes messy nature of pizza might not make an ideal plate when playing games, but if your favorite food is pizza, then a little mess is worth it.
I've been eating grilled cheese sandwiches for as long as I can remember. They bring out a childlike nostalgia when I'm playing that is hard to surpass. That being said, my favorite sandwich is a chicken Panini from Kostas Family Restaurant on Hertel Avenue. It might not be the best Panini in Buffalo, but the sautÃ©ed onions, peppers, lightly toasted bread and chicken is the perfect blend of crunchy and chewy.
For the most part, sandwiches are great for gaming sessions. They're easy to make and eat, and as long as they aren't loaded with dressings or oil, they're usually pretty clean, too.
I've always enjoyed sandwiches and pizza when I'm playing games, but lately I've been going to Chipotle a lot. Burritos are a hard bargain to beat, they offer a slightly healthier alternative to pizza and they are a more filling alternative to most of my favorite sandwiches. They're great for gaming for the same reasons as sandwiches, but have the added benefit of being contained in a tortilla shell.
Water or coke zero
As a general rule, when I'm sitting down to play games for hours on end, I try to avoid regular pop and beverages that are high in sugar, calories and carbs. Drinks that are high in caffeine and ginseng can help keep you alert and focused, but I'd much rather eat my calories in a burrito or slice of pizza than drink them in a glass of Mountain Dew.
Coke Zero might not replicate the taste of regular Coca Cola, but it's good enough for me. Almost any beverage will work for most gaming situations, but don't forget to balance your beverage of choice with plenty of water.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists