I'll have to say "I love you" in a song
UB is filled with lots of beautiful people. Hanging out on campus provides the opportunity to meet tons of new friends, but you can never meet them all.
The same goes for lovers.
Meeting that special someone can rely on several things: mutual friends, proper introductory circumstances and the magic moment where initial awkwardness fades into a shower of excitement and passion.
But what about those people you know you'll never have a chance with?
You pass by them all the time, or maybe you have a class together, but so what? They don't know you, probably don't care and have no reason to think you're dying to confess the love at first sight that's ignited within you.
Either you're too shy or there's just no good way to break the ice. They're looking at you, but you can't be sure if it's "the look."
Everyone has felt this way about someone at some point, but it happens to me too often. My friends are getting worried. Each semester, I compile a long list of loves that go undeclared: girl from English class, girl from Lockwood fifth floor, girl on the Starbucks line, girl down the hall, etc.
Luckily, I never feel completely alone in my hopeless romanticism. Music is always there to comfort me with the words and sounds of those who have been in my place. For all the times I've failed to come out and say it, there's a song to explain the feeling. Like the late, great Jim Croce once sang, "Every time I tried to tell you/The words just came out wrong/So I'll have to say 'I love you' in a song."
And so, here's my playlist for the girls I love who will never know:
1. For the beautiful girl passing me by - "I've Just Seen a Face" by The Beatles
Your untamed beauty has brightened my day and changed my life. Go forth, my sweet love, but should you turn around, I'll come chasing. You'll never know it, but we could have had it all.
2. For the intimidating, drunk hipster girl - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by The Stooges
Wow. You're wearing that black leather jacket just right, and here I am in my khaki trousers with a tucked-in polo shirt looking rather "Harvard," when I should be looking a bit more "Ramones" to give you the nod. You even make that cigarette lookattractive.It's not that you can drink 10 times more whiskey than I can; it's your edgy cool-wave vibes that are making my knees shake ... I wanna be your dog.
3. For the cute girl in class - "All I Really Want to Do" by Bob Dylan
The only time we ever spoke was indirectly last semester in ENG 309 Shakespeare, Early Plays. I was Romeo, you were Juliet-remember? After that, how could anything I said compare to those perfectly scripted verses? I hear this song and think of us: "a pair of star-cross'd lovers."
4. For the girl next door - "Under Your Spell" by Desire
On move-in day it was just you and me in the elevator. The ride to the fifth floor moved in slow motion as we shared our first glance. I knew it was real. I saw that photo of your boyfriend in with all of your things, but I don't give a s**t. Now we pass in the hallway or smile at each other in the laundry room, but I'm dying for more. This song defined the caged passion between Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan in Drive, so it's good enough for us, baby.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge