I'll have to say "I love you" in a song
UB is filled with lots of beautiful people. Hanging out on campus provides the opportunity to meet tons of new friends, but you can never meet them all.
The same goes for lovers.
Meeting that special someone can rely on several things: mutual friends, proper introductory circumstances and the magic moment where initial awkwardness fades into a shower of excitement and passion.
But what about those people you know you'll never have a chance with?
You pass by them all the time, or maybe you have a class together, but so what? They don't know you, probably don't care and have no reason to think you're dying to confess the love at first sight that's ignited within you.
Either you're too shy or there's just no good way to break the ice. They're looking at you, but you can't be sure if it's "the look."
Everyone has felt this way about someone at some point, but it happens to me too often. My friends are getting worried. Each semester, I compile a long list of loves that go undeclared: girl from English class, girl from Lockwood fifth floor, girl on the Starbucks line, girl down the hall, etc.
Luckily, I never feel completely alone in my hopeless romanticism. Music is always there to comfort me with the words and sounds of those who have been in my place. For all the times I've failed to come out and say it, there's a song to explain the feeling. Like the late, great Jim Croce once sang, "Every time I tried to tell you/The words just came out wrong/So I'll have to say 'I love you' in a song."
And so, here's my playlist for the girls I love who will never know:
1. For the beautiful girl passing me by - "I've Just Seen a Face" by The Beatles
Your untamed beauty has brightened my day and changed my life. Go forth, my sweet love, but should you turn around, I'll come chasing. You'll never know it, but we could have had it all.
2. For the intimidating, drunk hipster girl - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by The Stooges
Wow. You're wearing that black leather jacket just right, and here I am in my khaki trousers with a tucked-in polo shirt looking rather "Harvard," when I should be looking a bit more "Ramones" to give you the nod. You even make that cigarette lookattractive.It's not that you can drink 10 times more whiskey than I can; it's your edgy cool-wave vibes that are making my knees shake ... I wanna be your dog.
3. For the cute girl in class - "All I Really Want to Do" by Bob Dylan
The only time we ever spoke was indirectly last semester in ENG 309 Shakespeare, Early Plays. I was Romeo, you were Juliet-remember? After that, how could anything I said compare to those perfectly scripted verses? I hear this song and think of us: "a pair of star-cross'd lovers."
4. For the girl next door - "Under Your Spell" by Desire
On move-in day it was just you and me in the elevator. The ride to the fifth floor moved in slow motion as we shared our first glance. I knew it was real. I saw that photo of your boyfriend in with all of your things, but I don't give a s**t. Now we pass in the hallway or smile at each other in the laundry room, but I'm dying for more. This song defined the caged passion between Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan in Drive, so it's good enough for us, baby.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR