Return to sender
The Postal Service reunites
Fans of The Postal Service, you've got mail.
Ben Gibbard, frontman for indie band Death Cab for Cutie, and Jimmy Tamborello, also known as Dntel, make up the indie-electronica collaborative effort known as The PostalService. Feb. 19 marks 10 years since the release of theironly album, Give Up,and although fans have come to terms with how the band will never make an album together, Sub Pop Records has just announced the band's upcoming re-issued album and tour.
The first legitimate set of rumors began to surface when the indie-electronica group updated its website on Monday, Jan. 21, with a graphic that merely said, "The Postal Service 2013." With fans anxiously waiting, the group quickly updated its site the following day with official news on what is to come: a deluxe anniversary rerelease of Give Up equipped with all 10 original tracks being remastered and 15 bonus songs, including two brand new songs. The group will also be releasing the 10th-anniversary edition as a three-LP set to add to hardcore fans' vinyl collections.
The Postal Service's return is a huge deal after a 10-year hiatus. A lot has changed in the music industry since 2003 and even more so in the electronic-based genres. Dubstep, house, trance and electro have been doing nothing but growing in the mainstream eye since these two last made an album.
Gibbard and Tamborello's combined efforts paved the way for a whole new generation of music. Artists like Owl City, Lights and countless others have used Give Up as their inspiration and have adopted its style to gain success in today's industry.
I can remember hearing Owl City's "Fireflies" for the first time in high school and having to do a double take at the radio for clarification that it wasn't Gibbard's voice, which I missed so much, coming through my speakers. Now with their return officially announced, the high schooler in me can rest easy.
The anniversary marks a perfect time for Ben Gibbard to produce new The Postal Servicesongs. Since the release of his solo album, Former Lives, last October, Gibbard's divorce with actress Zooey Deschanel (Your Highness) has been finalized and has left him with new ammunition for darker lyrics. After the previous Death Cab album being a bit brighter than their previous releases, Gibbard's new situation should be a return to form.
While rumors of the band's return have surfaced many times over the years, Gibbard has always been quick to shut them down.
"The door is not closed, but people shouldn't hold their breath. You're going to pass out if you do," Gibbard said last October in an interview with music website Spinner.
Fans should rejoice, as the heckling of Gibbard and Tamborello via Twitter and other outlets over the years for a reunion has finally paid off.
Following the release of the 10th-anniversary deluxe edition of Give Up, the band's tour will begin, and those dates will be announced as soon as "they are confirmed," according to their label's announcement.
Billboard also has three confirmed sources stating the duo will be performing at the infamous Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival this April.
The 10th-anniversary deluxe edition of Give Up will be available for purchase April 8 in Europe and April 9 in North America.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge