Quick Hits: Women's hoops gets big win; track & field successful in MAC Championships
Freshman Margarita Kotok and the women’s tennis team have gotten off a strong 7-1 start. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Women's Basketball (16-11, 9-7 MAC)
The Bulls defeated Miami Ohio (7-20, 3-13 MAC), 74-61, in Oxford, Ohio Saturday afternoon. Buffalo's nine MAC wins are the program's most since the 2002-03 season.
Junior forward Kristen Sharkey scored 22 points, 18 of which came in the second half. Sharkey made eight free throws in the final five minutes to secure the victory.
The Bulls finish out the regular season with two games at Alumni Arena. They first host Akron (18-8, 12-3 MAC) Wednesday at 7 p.m.
The Bulls went 3-1 this weekend. Buffalo defeated Maryland Eastern Shore (0-7) on both Friday and Sunday. The Bulls defeated the Hawks 11-1 on Friday and 5-3 on Sunday in 10 innings. Senior pitcher Kevin Hughes got his first start of the season in the 11-1 win, pitching six innings, giving up five hits and one run and striking out five batters.
The Bulls split their two games with Virginia Military Institute (7-3), losing 2-0 on Friday but rebounding to defeat the Keydets 6-5 on Saturday. Buffalo will next play at Georgia (4-6) on Friday at 6 p.m.
The Bulls went 1-4 this weekend in the University of Mexico Lobo Classic in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Bulls' lone win came in their first game Friday against North Dakota State (10-6), 3-2. Buffalo lost to New Mexico (3-15) by a score of 5-2 on both Friday and Saturday. They lost to Idaho State 16-7 on Saturday and 3-1 on Sunday.
The Bulls will next play Thursday against UMBC (7-3). The game will start at 2:30 p.m.
Men's Tennis (6-2)
The No. 56 Bulls were on the road this weekend for two matches and split them. Buffalo defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology (6-4) on Friday 4-3, but lost to Princeton (8-4) 4-3 on Saturday.
The Bulls will again be on the road next weekend, with matches against Bryant (8-4), Brown (5-5) and Boston (4-5).
Women's Tennis (7-1)
The Bulls defeated Colgate (4-3) and Binghamton (1-5) by scores of 7-0 and 6-1 this weekend at the Miller Tennis Center. Buffalo has now won six matches in a row and will next host ASA (2-0) Saturday at 1 p.m.
Men's Ice Hockey (24-9, 12-2 Northeast Collegiate Hockey League)
The Bulls fell, 3-1, to Niagara (15-9, 10-4 NECHL) in the semifinals of the NECHL tournament. Junior forward Chris Marsack scored the Bulls' lone goal early in the second period, but the Purple Eagles scored three unanswered goals to secure the victory.
The Bulls' season is now over, as they narrowly missed out on an automatic bid to the ACHA National Tournament to NECHL regular-season champion Syracuse (20-7, 12-2 NECHL) and did not receive an at-large bid.
Track & Field
The track & field teams competed in the MAC Championships this weekend at Kent State. The women finished with a school-best fourth-place finish. The men also finished in fourth place and had a school-record 101 points.
The Bulls had six individual MAC champions, including senior Jonathan Jones in the shot put with a throw of 19.08 meters, sophomore Mike Morgan in the heptathlon with 5,704 points, senior Asia Henry in the 800-meter dash with a time of 2:06.68, sophomore Camaria Long in the 200-meter dash with a school record time of 24.09 and junior Chris Reape in the high jump with a jump of 2:15 meters.
The men's distance medley team won with a time of 9:52.37 and the women's 4x400-meter relay team won in 3:39.70.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists