UB to honor students who passed away
Friday, UB will be honoring the 16 students who passed away this academic year. Nicholas Arieno (above), a freshman business major, passed away in September. Courtesy of Facebook
UB football player and recent graduate Saron Hood passed away last summer. Spectrum File Photo
Paul Englert Jr., a sophomore civil engineering major, passed away in September. Courtesy of Denise Englert
Friday, UB will host a memorial service for the 16 students who passed away during 2013 and 2014. The ceremony will take place in Student Union Theater at 11 a.m.
UB will honor:
Brian Archie, Nicholas Arieno, Katielyn Aubertine, Taylor Binnert, Paul Englert, Jeffrey Gower, Jeremy Hayes, Saron Hood, Lisa Husung, Narang David Kim, James Kuwik, Michael Munella, Christopher Peterson, Emily Peterson, Kuan-Yu Benjamin Wu and Zachary Yambor.
Director of Judicial Affairs and Student Advocacy Liz Lidano has been organizing this annual memorial since its inception 10 years ago. She said there have been more student deaths this year than any previous year.
Lidano organized the event with Student Support Coordinator Colleen Connolly. The families and friends of all but two students will attend.
"I think it's a beautiful ceremony and incredibly impactful for family and friends who have lost a student," Lidano said. "These weeks are a time of celebration for those who are graduating, and it's incredibly important to honor the lives of students whose lives were cut short this year."
The ceremony will begin with a musical selection from the Buffalo Chips, UB's all male a cappella group, followed by lighting of candles and a reading of the names.
Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Barbara Ricotta will deliver remarks about the students and the event. A photo tribute slideshow will follow.
Lidano, Connolly, Student Association President Sam McMahon and Graduate Student Association President Mike Egnoto will read statements written by the families and friends of the students who have passed away. Father Pat Keleher from Campus Ministry will reflect on the lives of those who were lost.
After the ceremony, people will congregate outside to view bricks outside the Union engraved with the students' names, and the university honor guard will lead everyone to the flags, which will be lowered to half-mast in honor of the students.
A luncheon will take place after the event.
Lidano said the entire UB community is welcome to celebrate the lives of the 16 students.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership