Off one stage and on to another
Graduates finish UB prepared to overcome this era’s challenges
The school year is coming to a close, graduates are making their way to the stage and summer days are approaching. After finals, the immediate future can look nothing but bright, but the future further out can be bleaker.
We - college students today - have not come of age in the most hospitable of environments. Teenage years bracketed by seemingly endless war and dire recession have made some jaded - about jobs, the environment, global politics and our place in this increasingly complex world.
What is the role of 20-somethings in this rapidly changing world? And what change can we really make in places so hostile to differing perspectives, particularly from what can seem like hubristic kids with bright eyes and big ideas?
Generalizations are often overly simplistic and always problematic. There is little one could say about the amalgam of outlooks this generation possesses. But one thing is doubtless: the horizon of our collective and individual potential is boundless.
Our surroundings - be they hostile, turbulent or staunchly stagnant - do not and cannot limit our creativity and determination.
Technology has broken down any walls that limited past generations. The door between any individual and the world has been flung open, and with the fall of that barrier has come only more possibilities for us to make our voices heard.
The proliferation of democratized communication allows for self-learning and self-teaching in ways never before experienced. It is up to us to not only express our own ideas, but also learn from the perspectives of others.
College is a time for development - of our minds, perspectives and selves. It imbues anyone willing to be open and receptive with unforgettable experiences and unparalleled quality and scope in our outlook.
Immersing ourselves in new ideas and different opinions gives the opportunity to gain from the insights of others in powerful ways. A diverse outlook improves an individual's position and offers a wide range of ideas for how to address and correct the world's most pressing issues.
We are told our dream jobs are unattainable, our goals are lofty or utopian and our perspective limited by age. But those who criticize our age group often fail to see the strides we have already made, the power of dreams held amongst many and the perspective gained from quality experience.
If any lesson can be gleaned from college and taken into the world beyond textbooks and lectures, it is simply this: before worrying about job security and climate change, take a moment to believe in your own abilities and fortitude.
The problems we will collectively and individually face in coming months and years may seem bewildering, even insurmountable. The first step to meeting any of these challenges is believing in your ability to do so. With education and experience both received and lived, and with the perspective attained and expanded by our ever-increasing access to technology, our generation has in its grip the tools to change the world.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE