Bulls win first game of MAC Tournament
It has been a season of firsts for the Buffalo softball team. The Bulls have won the most games in program history and claimed their first-ever Mid-American Conference East regular season title.
They took a step toward another first Wednesday with a victory in the opening game of the MAC Tournament.
The Bulls (28-20, 11-5 MAC) defeated Northern Illinois (22-30, 10-12 MAC), 11-6, in Akron, Ohio. The Bulls' offense was stellar all game, scoring a run in every inning, including a four-run first inning.
The Bulls began with four runs off RBI singles by junior outfielder Karly Nevez and senior pitcher/infielder Heather Ryder. Ryder finished the game with three RBIs.
Senior outfielder Holly Luciano contributed in the fifth inning with an RBI double. She finished the day with two hits and two runs.
Northern Illinois closed the gap to three runs as Buffalo gave up a grand slam in the sixth inning. Senior third baseman Tori Pettine and junior infielder Nora McGuire gave Buffalo some valuable insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth as they each drove in a run to increase the Bulls' lead to five.
Senior pitcher Tori Speckman hurled a complete game - her eighth straight - and had seven strikeouts as she picked up her 20th victory of the season.
She now has 210 strikeouts on the year, a new single-season program record, which brings her total to 510 for her Buffalo career.
The Bulls continue their run in the tournament with a matchup against Central Michigan (33-20, 10-10 MAC) Thursday at 5 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses