Spectrum elects 2014-15 editor in chief
The Spectrum's editorial board unanimously voted Sara DiNatale as next year's editor in chief Sunday.
DiNatale, a junior English major with a media study minor, is currently a managing editor for the newspaper. She started as a staff writer in the fall 2011 semester and in three weeks was promoted to assistant news editor. The following year, she earned the position of senior news editor.
"I'm honored to be elected as The Spectrum's editor in chief," DiNatale said. "I've been working toward this position since I joined the paper as a freshman. I'm looking forward to next year and will continue the newspaper's upward trajectory. The Spectrum is capable of so much, and I'm excited to grow the organization alongside the 2014-15 staff."
DiNatale plans to improve The Spectrum's video presence by creating a new position of video producer/editor. She also plans to increase the newspaper's online presence, especially in the area of social media.
Over the past three years, DiNatale has interned at Artvoice, a Buffalo newsweekly, and at The Buffalo News as a business reporter. This summer, she is temporarily moving to Portland, Ore., to be a reporting intern for The Oregonian.
"Ever since Sara started at The Spectrum, it hasn't been a matter of if she will become editor in chief but when," said current Editor in Chief Aaron Mansfield. "She has shown immense promise in her first three years here, and I couldn't imagine handing over this organization to anyone else. I have the utmost confidence she'll take the newspaper to a new level of greatness."
DiNatale said she's "excited to keep The Spectrum on pace with the changing world of journalism" by focusing on the paper's multimedia presence in addition to its print edition.
Jody Kleinberg Biehl, The Spectrum's faculty adviser and director of UB's Journalism Certificate Program, pointed out that DiNatale is the first female editor in chief since 2009 - and also the first editor in chief in five years not from the sports desk.
"Sara is as talented as she is dedicated and has proven herself repeatedly as a reporter and editor," Biehl said. "She also has a quiet determination that distinguishes her and that, I think, will make her a tremendous leader. I look forward to working with her and to watching her grow."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge