Spectrum elects 2014-15 editor in chief
The Spectrum's editorial board unanimously voted Sara DiNatale as next year's editor in chief Sunday.
DiNatale, a junior English major with a media study minor, is currently a managing editor for the newspaper. She started as a staff writer in the fall 2011 semester and in three weeks was promoted to assistant news editor. The following year, she earned the position of senior news editor.
"I'm honored to be elected as The Spectrum's editor in chief," DiNatale said. "I've been working toward this position since I joined the paper as a freshman. I'm looking forward to next year and will continue the newspaper's upward trajectory. The Spectrum is capable of so much, and I'm excited to grow the organization alongside the 2014-15 staff."
DiNatale plans to improve The Spectrum's video presence by creating a new position of video producer/editor. She also plans to increase the newspaper's online presence, especially in the area of social media.
Over the past three years, DiNatale has interned at Artvoice, a Buffalo newsweekly, and at The Buffalo News as a business reporter. This summer, she is temporarily moving to Portland, Ore., to be a reporting intern for The Oregonian.
"Ever since Sara started at The Spectrum, it hasn't been a matter of if she will become editor in chief but when," said current Editor in Chief Aaron Mansfield. "She has shown immense promise in her first three years here, and I couldn't imagine handing over this organization to anyone else. I have the utmost confidence she'll take the newspaper to a new level of greatness."
DiNatale said she's "excited to keep The Spectrum on pace with the changing world of journalism" by focusing on the paper's multimedia presence in addition to its print edition.
Jody Kleinberg Biehl, The Spectrum's faculty adviser and director of UB's Journalism Certificate Program, pointed out that DiNatale is the first female editor in chief since 2009 - and also the first editor in chief in five years not from the sports desk.
"Sara is as talented as she is dedicated and has proven herself repeatedly as a reporter and editor," Biehl said. "She also has a quiet determination that distinguishes her and that, I think, will make her a tremendous leader. I look forward to working with her and to watching her grow."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls defeat MAC East leader behind largest home crowd in four years
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor