Scouting Northern lllinois
Scouting Northern lllinois
2010 Record: 4-2 (2-0 Mid-American Conference)
2009 Record: 7-6 (5-3 MAC)
September 16, 2006
Northern Illinois 31, Buffalo 16
Northern Illinois leads Buffalo, 5-1
Three Huskies to watch:
RB Chad Spann – Spann leads the MAC in rushing and ranks 19th nationally with 107 yards per game. He helped hand Akron their first conference loss with exactly 100 yards, reaching that mark for the third time this season. This will be an interesting matchup, as the Bulls have the second-best rush defense in the conference.
K Michael Cklamvoski – After being on the University of Illinois bench from 2006 to 2009, Cklamvoski scored his first points this season. He has made seven straight field goals, but the Bulls should key in on his inexperience on the field and use pressure to force misses.
LB Alex Kube – Kube is the leader of an experienced and potent defensive unit. He leads the team in stops with 41 and had a team-high seven tackles against conference foe Temple last week. Kube will lead the Huskies in trying to put pressure on quarterback Jerry Davis and stuff the Bulls' running attack.
The Bulls will win if… quarterback Jerry Davis can run the Bulls offense efficiently and limit turnovers. The defense has stepped up all season, but the Bulls offense will need to put points on the board to knock off the MAC West's top team.
The Huskies will win if… they can control the ball on offense, wearing down the Bulls defense with their strong running game. The Huskies rank 12th in the nation in rushing yards with 236.2 yards per game.
I think that if there is going to be a time for the Bulls to step up and make a statement, this would be the week. I feel like they can compete with the Huskies because of their defense, but they have to protect the ball and the coaching staff has to be perfect with play calling and overall decision making.
The Bulls should be able to slow down the running attack, but I think the quarterback play for Northern Illinois will be the difference in the game. I don't know if two weeks was enough time for the Bulls to figure out their turnover problem.
Huskies – 28
Bulls – 20
If the Bulls want to remain unbeaten in the MAC, they will need to score points. The Bulls defense is capable of slowing down the Huskies' rushing attack, but it will take more than a strong defensive effort.
The defense will step up to the challenge and make plays to put Davis and company in position to score. However, the offense will have trouble capitalizing on their opportunities. The Huskies will be celebrating homecoming with a close win.
Huskies – 24
Bulls – 17
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!