Counting down the top 10 plays in UB sports over the last three weeks
Javon McCrea is the third player Buffalo basketball player since 2005 to be named an AP All-America Honorable Mention. McCrea averaged 18.5 and 9.9 rebounds for the Bulls this season. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
10. Baseball rebounds from a 15-9 loss at Northern Illinois to take series
After the Bulls lost their Mid-American Conference opener to Northern Illinois 15-9, their pitching rebounded and allowed just three runs over the next two games. The Bulls won, 3-2 and 3-1, to clinch their 11th straight MAC series, dating back to 2012.
9. Candanoza claims two extra-set games to help UB win match
Anamaria Candanoza had to earn two extra-set victories to help the Bulls capture their first conference victory on March 22. With the match tied 2-2 at the time, Candanoza won the first game 7-6 (6), followed by a game 7-6 (3) for the victory in the match.
Senior Tanvi Shah clinched the fourth and final game, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, to secure the win for Buffalo.
8. Speckman throws complete-game shutout
On March 15, senior pitcher Tori Speckman took the mound against Iona in Clearwater, Fla. Speckman tossed a complete-game gem, striking out 12 and allowing only three hits to lead the Bulls to a 2-0 victory.
7. Lacrosse defeats Vanderbilt, starts season 4-1
The men's lacrosse team traveled south for Spring Break and a five-game road trip. Despite spending the beginning of its season practicing indoors, the team lost just one game. The trip included two overtime victories, with the Bulls' only loss coming in overtime.
6. Flannery represents Bulls in NCAA Wrestling Tournament
Nick Flannery was the lone Bull to compete in the NCAA Tournament this season. The senior competed in the 141-pound weight class, but was eliminated on the first day after losing two matches.
5. Magovney dominates on mound over Spring Break
Junior pitcher Anthony Magovney pitched twice during Spring Break for the Bulls, totaling 13 innings and allowing just four hits and one run. Magovney leads the Bulls' pitching staff with a 5-0 record.
4. Kuras competes in NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships
After winning her third straight MAC Outstanding Swimmer award, Kuras advanced to the NCAA Championships, where she swam in the 200-yard individual medley, 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle.
Kuras set new school and MAC records in the 200-yard individual medley (1:58.01) and the 100-yard freestyle (48.53). Kuras missed qualifying for the finals in both those events by .66 seconds and .21 seconds, respectively.
3. Burke's walk-off hit lifts Bulls over Ball State
After falling behind 8-0 early against the Cardinals, the Bulls fought back to force the game to extra innings. But the game was delayed due to darkness at the end of the ninth inning.
Saturday, senior pitcher/infielder Mike Burke finished the improbable victory with one swing of the bat in the bottom of the 11th inning with a game-winning hit. He also finished as the winning pitcher.
2. Bobby Hurley named finalist for Joe B. Hall Award; Evans named to Kyle Macy freshman All-America team
Following the men's basketball team's 19-10 (13-6 MAC) record, head coach Bobby Hurley was named a finalist for the Joe B. Hall Award, which is given to the nation's best first-year head coach.
Freshman guard Shannon Evans was one of 25 freshmen named to the Kyle Macy Freshman All-America team. He is also in the running for the Kyle Macy National Freshman of the Year award. Other prominent names on the list include Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Tyler Ennis.
1. McCrea named AP All-America Honorable Mention
After winning the MAC Player of the Year, senior forward Javon McCrea was named an Associated Press All-America Honorable Mention. McCrea finished his career as the Bulls' all-time leading scorer and the only Bull to ever reach 2,000 points.
The last Bull named an AP All-America Honorable Mention was center Mitchell Watt after the 2011-12 season.
Do you have a play that you think should be on #UBTop10? Tweet your nominations to @ubspecsports with #UBTop10 to be considered for the next edition.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Don't Ask Anne: Schoolwork, dorming and pre-registration requirements
- UB hosts high-flying, firework-filled carnival as part of Family Weekend
- UB's Tailgate Concert Series continues with The Spin Doctors
- Buffalo’s defense finally shows up
- Bulls defeat Spartans 36-7 behind a dominant defensive performance
- Gridiron Report Card: The Spectrum grades the Bulls’ 36-7 win over Norfolk...
- À la Mode: Style Guide
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses