What are UB’s athletes listening to?
Freshman forward Rachael Gregory listens to country music to get pumped for her women's basketball games. Joe Konze Jr. /// The Spectrum
Athletes all over are seen sporting their headphones - whether they're walking into UB Stadium, traveling or even relaxing during press conferences, it's a fashion icon these days.
But don't overlook their true purpose.
It's 20 minutes 'til game time, and how better to get prepared than listening to your favorite jams to get you hyped up?
Anyone who has ever played sports knows this: start listening to your favorite songs before a game and you get an instant rush of adrenaline, confidence and, most importantly, swagger. It puts you in the zone and gives you the focus to get ready to take on your opponent.
Everyone has their own preference as to what pumps them up. For me, it would be "Burn" by Meek Mill. I'm here to deliver what some of the biggest athletes around campus use to get live to before their big games:
Senior Matt Hogan, swimming: "Amazing" by Kanye West, "'Til I Collapse" by Eminem
"They put me in the right mindset before my races. You got to believe you're the best and going to win at that moment and the music really helps facilitate that."
Junior Javon McCrea, basketball: Gucci Mane
Freshman Rachael Gregory, basketball: Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum
"I know this is surprising, but most of the time it's country. I like to listen to music that kind of calms me down, but if I do need energy, I'll listen to Drake, Rihanna or sometimes Katy Perry."
Senior Tony Watson, basketball: Drake
Senior Mark Lewandowski, wrestling: "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams, Jr. or "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash
"It's sort of how I was brought up. I was raised sort of that way, so it's what I relate to most. So that's probably what I feel most comfortable warming up to."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections