What are UB’s athletes listening to?
Freshman forward Rachael Gregory listens to country music to get pumped for her women's basketball games. Joe Konze Jr. /// The Spectrum
Athletes all over are seen sporting their headphones - whether they're walking into UB Stadium, traveling or even relaxing during press conferences, it's a fashion icon these days.
But don't overlook their true purpose.
It's 20 minutes 'til game time, and how better to get prepared than listening to your favorite jams to get you hyped up?
Anyone who has ever played sports knows this: start listening to your favorite songs before a game and you get an instant rush of adrenaline, confidence and, most importantly, swagger. It puts you in the zone and gives you the focus to get ready to take on your opponent.
Everyone has their own preference as to what pumps them up. For me, it would be "Burn" by Meek Mill. I'm here to deliver what some of the biggest athletes around campus use to get live to before their big games:
Senior Matt Hogan, swimming: "Amazing" by Kanye West, "'Til I Collapse" by Eminem
"They put me in the right mindset before my races. You got to believe you're the best and going to win at that moment and the music really helps facilitate that."
Junior Javon McCrea, basketball: Gucci Mane
Freshman Rachael Gregory, basketball: Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum
"I know this is surprising, but most of the time it's country. I like to listen to music that kind of calms me down, but if I do need energy, I'll listen to Drake, Rihanna or sometimes Katy Perry."
Senior Tony Watson, basketball: Drake
Senior Mark Lewandowski, wrestling: "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams, Jr. or "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash
"It's sort of how I was brought up. I was raised sort of that way, so it's what I relate to most. So that's probably what I feel most comfortable warming up to."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World