What are UB’s athletes listening to?
Freshman forward Rachael Gregory listens to country music to get pumped for her women's basketball games. Joe Konze Jr. /// The Spectrum
Athletes all over are seen sporting their headphones - whether they're walking into UB Stadium, traveling or even relaxing during press conferences, it's a fashion icon these days.
But don't overlook their true purpose.
It's 20 minutes 'til game time, and how better to get prepared than listening to your favorite jams to get you hyped up?
Anyone who has ever played sports knows this: start listening to your favorite songs before a game and you get an instant rush of adrenaline, confidence and, most importantly, swagger. It puts you in the zone and gives you the focus to get ready to take on your opponent.
Everyone has their own preference as to what pumps them up. For me, it would be "Burn" by Meek Mill. I'm here to deliver what some of the biggest athletes around campus use to get live to before their big games:
Senior Matt Hogan, swimming: "Amazing" by Kanye West, "'Til I Collapse" by Eminem
"They put me in the right mindset before my races. You got to believe you're the best and going to win at that moment and the music really helps facilitate that."
Junior Javon McCrea, basketball: Gucci Mane
Freshman Rachael Gregory, basketball: Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum
"I know this is surprising, but most of the time it's country. I like to listen to music that kind of calms me down, but if I do need energy, I'll listen to Drake, Rihanna or sometimes Katy Perry."
Senior Tony Watson, basketball: Drake
Senior Mark Lewandowski, wrestling: "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams, Jr. or "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash
"It's sort of how I was brought up. I was raised sort of that way, so it's what I relate to most. So that's probably what I feel most comfortable warming up to."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists