Beasts of the Feast
The Spectrum hands out Thanksgiving awards to the football team
Thanksgiving feasts are one of my favorite meals of the year. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, etc. You name it, I love it.
What better way is there to get in the spirit of the holidays than to compare my love for food with my love for football? Here are the Bulls to complete a successful Thanksgiving feast.
Bread and Butter Award
Alex Neutz - The junior wide receiver wins this award for being the "go-to" player in the Bulls' offense. Neutz has 50 receptions for 847 yards and 10 touchdowns. This dynamic wideout gets the Bread and Butter Award because he is one of the Bulls' key players on offense and a consistent deep threat. Bread and butter are the main support of any meal. He's "Mr. Reliable" - the one who provides the main support to the Bulls' outstanding running game.
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Award
The offensive line and tight ends - Let's start off with the mashed potatoes: the offensive line. First off, we have center Trevor Sales, whose beard is longer than any pilgrim I've ever seen in a history book. Trevor, I love it; "Fear the Beard."
Second, we all know the offensive line is very important to the offense. Without them, no one would be blocked and the Bulls would not be able to move the ball. I don't know about you, but I use my mashed potatoes as a wall of defense so I can taste each individual element of the plate without the foods running together. I'm from Rochester. I've eaten enough garbage plates - but not on Thanksgiving.
The tight ends provide us with the gravy. They're that extra flavor on top of an already delicious meal. Not only can they block, but they can also catch passes. As for gravy, it tastes good and complements the mashed potatoes, just like the tight ends complement the o-line.
Joe Licata - You know the old saying, "it gets sweeter with time?" Well I have to say this award goes to freshman quarterback Joe Licata, who has had a solid two starts this season. Licata has 55 completions on 103 attempts with five touchdowns, and he continues to improve. In his first start against Miami Ohio (4-6, 3-3 MAC), he threw for 127 yards. This past weekend, he threw for 285 yards. He can only get better from here on out.
Khalil Mack and Colby Way - Linebacker Mack has 69 tackles this season while defensive lineman Way has 42 total tackles. What better way to plug the holes on the defense and "stuff" the run? Think of these players when you are stuffing your turkey this holiday. However, the defense as a whole ranks fifth in the MAC in rushing defense. Not too shabby.
Pumpkin Pie Award
Lee Skinner - The sophomore linebacker has impressed fans with his play this season, posting 72 total tackles with a forced fumble. He is a great complement to the defense - kind of like pumpkin pie is a great dessert to have after a delicious meal.
Cranberry Sauce Award
Devin Campbell - The freshman running back has done well this season filling in as Branden Oliver has been injured. Campbell has compiled an impressive 476 yards on 109 attempts this season with two touchdowns. I'll give him the cranberry sauce award because like cranberry sauce you can put it with anything and it compliments well. Campbell has been that compliment to the Bulls offense and their success this season.
The Turkey Award
Branden Oliver - The standout junior running back gets the turkey award for being the main course. You can't have Thanksgiving without the turkey, and you can't have Bulls football without Bo. Oliver gets this award for his outstanding performance in six games this season. He has rushed for 801 yards and five touchdowns on 139 attempts despite injuries this season. Tofurkey? Heck no. It's Bo-turkey.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists