One And Done In MAC Tournament
It was a David versus Goliath matchup as the men's soccer team went up against the No. 3 ranked team in the nation on Friday night.
The underdog did not prevail on this night.
The Bulls (7-10-1, 4-2-0 Mid American Conference) were knocked out of the MAC tournament by the eventual champion, the Akron Zips (18-1-1). The 3-1 loss was a crushing one that ended the 2010 season.
"The effort was most certainly there," said head coach John Astudillo. "We proved to ourselves that we could compete given the circumstance [of playing a top team]."
Akron came out strong and commanded the pitch early in the game. Zips midfielder Michael Nanchoff scored from 23 yards out, following a free kick in the first half that gave Akron the lead.
Akron added two more goals late in the second half to increase its lead to 3-0.
Senior midfielder Sam Craven ended his career with the first and only goal for the Bulls with a shot just in front of the net late in the second half. The goal was the first and last of the senior's career.
"We are all so proud of the boys," Astudillo said. "They definitely put their hearts out tonight."
The Bulls were outshot 16-4 in the match and senior goalkeeper Nick Fetterman ended his career with one save for the Bulls.
"Casey [Derkacz], Sam and Kieron [Gradwell] were the best players on the pitch," Astudillo said. "They played with heart and composure. You can tell they didn't want it to be their last game...We are certainly going to miss them."
Seniors Mike Unwin, Craven, Jordan Brouk and Rich Wilson each attempted one shot for the Bulls.
Unwin was named to the All-MAC team for the second consecutive season. He led the Bulls with five goals and 13 points this season.
"The last time we played Akron we knew that there were things we could do better," Astudillo said. "We adjusted our game and this time we had more control. We showed improvement and we can walk away knowing now what to improve on, playing at such a great level of soccer."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge