Swim Team Washes Niagara
The swimming and diving team hosted Big Four rival Niagara on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Arena.
The men's team (4-0) continued its perfect season and beat Niagara (1-3), 152-85. The women's team (2-2) also earned a victory, dominating the Purple Eagles (2-6, 0-1 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), 146-90.
On the men's side, sophomore Josh Meints continued his great season by sweeping the competition in both of his freestyle races. Meints swam an impressive 1:46.16 in the 200-yard freestyle and finished the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:53.20.
Senior Kenny Rhoades continues to improve. He set a season best in the three-meter diving event with a total of 363.60.
"Kenny is coming on beautifully," said head diving coach Karla Helder. "I've only had him for two years, but we've packed a lot of work into that time. Our divers improve every week and are at a very competitive level."
The women's swimming squad, with strong performances by junior Alie Schirmers, sophomore Karly Moore and freshman Ava Giachino, swept Niagara for the meet to even its season record.
The women's diver that performed best at the meet was Giachino. She won both the one-meter springboard dive (231.95 points) and the three-meter dive (268.90 points.) to add to the win column.
"We're adding new dives every couple weeks," Helder said. "Both Ava and Kenny train very hard in the off-season in order to keep improving."
The men's and women's diving teams will get ready to travel across the country to compete in the University of Arizona's annual Wildcat Invitational next weekend.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools