Swim Team Washes Niagara
The swimming and diving team hosted Big Four rival Niagara on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Arena.
The men's team (4-0) continued its perfect season and beat Niagara (1-3), 152-85. The women's team (2-2) also earned a victory, dominating the Purple Eagles (2-6, 0-1 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), 146-90.
On the men's side, sophomore Josh Meints continued his great season by sweeping the competition in both of his freestyle races. Meints swam an impressive 1:46.16 in the 200-yard freestyle and finished the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:53.20.
Senior Kenny Rhoades continues to improve. He set a season best in the three-meter diving event with a total of 363.60.
"Kenny is coming on beautifully," said head diving coach Karla Helder. "I've only had him for two years, but we've packed a lot of work into that time. Our divers improve every week and are at a very competitive level."
The women's swimming squad, with strong performances by junior Alie Schirmers, sophomore Karly Moore and freshman Ava Giachino, swept Niagara for the meet to even its season record.
The women's diver that performed best at the meet was Giachino. She won both the one-meter springboard dive (231.95 points) and the three-meter dive (268.90 points.) to add to the win column.
"We're adding new dives every couple weeks," Helder said. "Both Ava and Kenny train very hard in the off-season in order to keep improving."
The men's and women's diving teams will get ready to travel across the country to compete in the University of Arizona's annual Wildcat Invitational next weekend.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World