Bulls stay perfect
Women’s tennis moves to 4-0 after win against ASA College
It was a parade of big shots, missed opportunities and forfeits when the women's tennis team took to the court against ASA College. But it was the Bulls' opponents who made the mistakes as Buffalo kept its undefeated start intact.
The Bulls (4-0) played host to ASA College (0-1) on Saturday at the Miller Tennis Center and took the match by a final score of 6-1.
"It was a good win," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "Sometimes it's difficult playing a team like this that's a little erratic and comes out banging, hits big shots, then misses a few. It's tough to get a rhythm. But the girls did a good job on focusing on what was controllable."
In first doubles, juniors Miranda Podlas and Tanvi Shah topped their opponents, 8-2.
It was a similar scene in second doubles. Sophomore Laura Fernandez and junior Marta Stoyanova took their doubles match 8-2.
The Avengers were forced to forfeit the third doubles match as they played shorthanded all day. The forfeit gave senior Tamara Markovic and junior Anamaria Candanoza credit for the win.
Podlas continued to cruise in her singles match, coasting past Tamar Tshaskaia, 6-1, 6-0, and picking up her second victory of the day.
"[Podlas] is a joy to work with," Ortman said. "Phenomenal athlete, always willing to do a little above and beyond to get better and take the next step, and it's really showing on the court. She has really improved and she's just a joy to work with. She's easy to coach and she's just like a sponge."
The Bulls only lost one match in singles play. ASA College's Dayana Agasieva defeated Shah, 2-6, 7-5, 13-11, as the match took a long third set tiebreak to be decided.
In third singles, Fernandez jumped on the winning wagon and rolled past her opponent, 6-1, 6-3.
The Bulls picked up wins in the final three singles matches of the day. Markovic and freshman Gopika Kapoor won both their matches, 6-1, 6-0, and 6-1, 6-1, respectively. Kapoor's match was her first of the spring season.
Stoyanova was credited with a win in her singles match on another ASA College forfeit.
Ortman believes her team is playing confident tennis even though the Bulls have only one senior on their roster. She believes composure has gotten the team to the heights it has reached this season.
"You've got to focus on the task at hand," Ortman said. "They're undefeated and they're confident. They believe in their game and they believe in themselves."
At 4-0, the Bulls look to next weekend as a pivotal point in their non-conference season schedule.
"Next weekend is a big weekend with Temple and Binghamton," Ortman said. "We've had really close matches with Temple the past two years."
The match at Temple (1-6, 0-2 Atlantic 10) is set for Saturday at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World