Regardless of long-time success, roller hockey club may go extinct
Nine regional championship game appearances - including five straight in Division I - four regional championships, four national final four appearances and an alumnus on the United States National Team. All in 13 years.
These are the accomplishments of the most successful club you probably never knew existed at UB. The roller hockey club entered the National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association's Eastern Region as a Division II club team in 1999. The club grew to include a Division I and a B team.
The paramount of the club's success came from 2008-10, when the club won four regional championships and sent three teams to the national final four. Since then, there has been a decline in the amount of players showing up to play.
During the 2010-11 season, the B team was unable to finish the season because players stopped showing up. The following year, the club went without a B team.
This season, the club lists 12 players on the travel roster but some can't commit to every weekend, which could lead to the team folding.
I don't understand why.
Buffalo is a hockey town. I grew up on Long Island and spent the last four years at UB and loved what I saw: a place where students were passionate about hockey and played the game I love so much.
UB has the talent pool to compete at the national level every year. I couldn't walk through the halls without seeing guys wearing their high school hockey jacket or sweatshirt. I understand there is an ice hockey team and some guys play there. But that squad can only suit up 20 guys per game.
Let me give you a rundown of the club, of which I was a member until I graduated this past year. The Student Association helps it with funding, and it is the best hockey deal in town. The athletes practice once a week, which usually includes a high-pace scrimmage. Our coaches are alumni who make sure the players are doing everything right and at the same time make sure they are having fun.
And they do have fun. What is better than going away for the weekend to play some hockey with, in my opinion, some of the best friends you'll meet here?
I'm well aware there is a stigma that roller hockey is noncontact and isn't a real sport. But the team has had guys who played serious junior ice hockey come play because they wanted to relax on the weekend while still playing competitive hockey.
There are almost 200 teams from all over the country. They don't play in a parking lot with a ball. They play up to 35 games in a puck league, with real refs and a great staff that keeps the league legitimate.
Playing roller hockey was probably the best decision I made during my time at UB. I still consider myself a part of the team even though I will be playing with another team while I attend graduate school.
So lace 'em up; don't let one of the successful clubs at UB die.
Contact email@example.com if you want more information about the club.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections