Baseball team sweeps Akron
Bulls rely on pitching in first two games, offense in the last
Senior outfielder Thomas Richards had four RBIs in the baseball team’s 6-3 victory over Akron on Saturday. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
Over its past 15 games, the baseball team has traded-off on winning and losing streaks. The Bulls are currently enjoying a three-game winning streak, and with the final month of the season approaching, they can ill afford to begin a losing streak.
The Bulls (20-16, 11-6 Mid-American Conference) swept Akron (22-21, 9-9 MAC) in a three-game series this weekend at Amherst Audubon Field. Buffalo relied on dominant pitching in the first two games before garnering 11 runs in the final game on Sunday.
Senior pitcher and infielder Mike Burke struggled on the mound on Sunday, giving up six runs and seven hits in less than five innings. Buffalo trailed 6-5 heading into the bottom of seventh, before its offense emerged.
Senior infielder Mike Scarcello tied the game at six with a sacrifice fly to score freshman outfielder Vinny Mallaro. Buffalo took the lead when senior outfielder Jimmy Topps singled to center field to score Tanner Robinson. The Bulls added four more runs in the eighth inning to secure an 11-6 victory, completing the series sweep.
The Bulls opened the weekend with a 3-2 victory behind another dominant pitching performance by senior pitcher Kevin Hughes. Hughes pitched the entire game - his second complete game in a row - and gave up just six hits and one earned run. He also added five strikeouts.
Junior pitcher Anthony Magovney gave the Bulls another great pitching performance on Saturday, earning his first victory since March 22. Magovney gave up three runs in the top of third, putting the Bulls in a 3-2 deficit. Magovney gave up just three hits and no runs in the next four innings, however, and the Bulls offense recaptured the lead, resulting in a 6-3 victory.
Buffalo is a half-game behind MAC East-leading Kent State (27-16, 12-6 MAC). The Bulls play at Niagara (12-22, 5-8 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) for a doubleheader on Tuesday. They will face Ohio (8-31, 4-14 MAC) this weekend for a three-game series.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!