Black Veil Brides unveil a new sound
Artist: Black Veil Brides
Album: Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones
Release Date: Jan. 8
Label: Lava/Universal Republic
Concept albums are a complex task for even the most talented musicians. Masterpieces like Green Day's American Idiot and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon may exemplify successful albums within the genre, but most bands' attempts atconcept albums leave much to be desired.
While California glam rockers Black Veil Brides have managed to avoid total failure with their third album, Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones, it's no masterpiece.
Vocalist Andy Biersack, bassist Ashley Purdy, guitarists Jake Pitts and Jinxx and drummer Christian "CC" Coma, resembleMÃ¶tley CrÃ¼e with a twist of Tim Burton. Heavy black makeup, war paint, tight leather pants and hair-sprayed locks have attracted a fan base of 13-year-old scene girls.
Though the band has been ridiculed for its outrageous looks, Black Veiled Brides has still managed to win awards and grace the covers of several magazines.
The moments where Wretched and Divine succeeds helps listeners look past the band's bizarre aesthetics.
Producer John Feldmann gave the album a more radio-friendly feel than previous Black Veil Brides releases. Feldmann has worked with artists from The Used to Hilary Duff.
"New Year's Day" and "I Am Bulletproof" showcase Feldmann's influence with catchy choruses and gang vocals. Biersack's vocals remain gritty, while Jinxx's and Pitts' guitars cascade alongside and are reminiscent of Adam Gontier from Three Days Grace at times.
The "F.E.A.R" interludes, voiced by Aiden vocalist William Francis, do nothing for the album.While they were included for the upcoming movie that will accompany Wretched and Divine, Francis does not sound menacing enough to be the villain.
"Days Are Numbered" is a stand-out track with an anthem tone. The song features The Used vocalist Bert McCracken, whose chilling screams and growls give the mostly pop-infused album a rock sound.
While the band has improved from 2011's Set the World on Fire, Wretched and Divine is not necessarily a noteworthy concept album. Black Veil Brides will be in Buffalo next Wednesday at Club Infinity for The Church of the Wild Ones tour.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections