Oscar predictions and preferences
A great movie is all about great acting, and that's exactly what Lincoln has. Many people (including myself) expected more action out of this film, but where it was lacking it delivered something even better. The dialogue could have felt overwhelming had it not been perfectly delivered by a spectacular cast. Lincoln offers crucial insight on a revolutionary change in our nation's history while also brilliantly reflecting on current American political issues. Not only was this movie entertaining, it was important - and that's rare.
Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
Preference: Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
Daniel Day-Lewis brought Abraham Lincoln to life in Lincoln like only he could have. There is no actor who has brought acting as an art form to the level that Day-Lewis consistently delivers on, and this film is no exception. Day-Lewis has already won two Oscars in this category and he gave two great acceptance speeches for both awards. Be prepared for great speech No. 3.
Prediction: Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook
Preference: QuvenzhanÃ© Wallis in Beasts of the Southern Wild
Jennifer Lawrence has yet to disappoint a critical audience and has made some lackluster movies much better with her outstanding performances, including the one she gave in Silver Linings Playbook. That being said, QuvenzhanÃ© Wallis was heart-wrenchingly entertaining to watch in Beasts of the Southern Wild. I'd love to see the 9-year-old launch a career off a victory in this category.
Best Supporting Actor
Prediction: Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master
Preference: Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman is another actor who can really do no wrong, and his performance was widely regarded as the best of the year for his work alongside Joaquin Phoenix in The Master. For me, Christoph Waltz is the most entertaining actor in the business right now and Quentin Tarantino makes all of his characters dance and twirl around Waltz's multi-lingual signature style in a way that makes him stand out from the rest of the cast.
Best Supporting Actress
Prediction: Anne Hathaway in Les MisÃ©rables
Preference: Anne Hathaway in Les MisÃ©rables
This was a lock for me ever since the trailer for Les MisÃ©rables came out featuring Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed a Dream." For me, the movie itself was a letdown after all the hype, but Hathaway was stunning and kept it afloat.
Prediction: Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
Preference: Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
I've said what I have to say about this movie, but the man who choreographed its beauty and forceful delivery on the big screen was Steven Spielberg. Spielberg is known for doing "epic" better than anyone else, and he went above and beyond the call of duty for Lincoln.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
- Easy A(rts): UB's best introductory art courses
- Epic Super Bowl Halftime Shows
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor