Rowing wins second straight Harvey Cup
The Bulls took what belonged to them this weekend in Syracuse, N.Y. winning the Harvey Cup title for the second consecutive year on a beautiful spring day.
The Harvey Cup consisted of four squads: Colgate, Buffalo, Connecticut and Eastern Michigan.
In the morning session, the Bulls Varsity Eight squad blew past the Eastern Michigan Eagles to win their race by more than 13 seconds.
The win secured the Harvey Cup for Buffalo, who won its first title last year. The Bulls then competed for the top prize against the Colgate Raiders later in the evening session. Buffalo gave a great effort scoring a strong time of 7:24.6 but it was the Raiders who came out on top beating them by just two seconds at the finish. Colgate would go on to win six of the seven races it competed in claiming the top prize.
"The race against Colgate was a tight one we were never behind more than 10 or 15 feet," said head coach Rudy Wieler.
The first Varsity Eight boat comprised of Buffalo junior coxswain Sher Briggs, stroke seat sophomore Lauren Sexton, seven seat sophomore Melina DiCosimo, six seat junior Paige Baritot, five seat sophomore Amanda Garbacz, four seat senior Corinne Blum, three seat junior Jessica Hughes, two seat junior Jackie Stone and bow seat junior Brittany Aiello.
Buffalo's second Varsity Eight boat handed Eastern Michigan another loss beating them by 22 seconds in the morning session and also handed Colgate its only loss of the day when it beat the Raiders by 14 second in the evening session.
The second varsity eight boat for Buffalo was rowed by junior coxswain Margaret Devendorf, sophomore stroke seat Morgan Witte, seven seat freshman Cathleen Streicher, six seat Ashley Wodzinski, five seat sophomore Bridget Yannes, four seat freshman Tara Rudkoski, three seat freshman Mary Karl, two seat junior Maggie Fairgrieve and bow seat sophomore Amanda MacKeigan.
The Lightweight Eight boat took top honors as well by defeating Eastern Michigan and the Connecticut Huskies. The U.S. Rowing/Collegiate Coaches Rowing Association recently named the Lightweight Eight crew in the nation's top 10 teams. The team is ranked ninth in the country.
"The Lightweight looked good out there," Wieler said. "We looked solid as a whole team though."
Buffalo also earned a win in the Novice Four event beating Eastern Michigan but then fell to the dominating Colgate Raiders.
Buffalo's four-seat boat consisted of freshman coxswain Svetlana Khaimchayev, stroke seat freshman Alanna Wellspeak, three-seat freshman Jordan Talbott, two seat freshman Jessica Lau and bow seat freshman Kirsten Olstad.
It was also announced that next year's Harvey Cup will be held here in Buffalo.
"All the programs agreed to have us host the event next year," Wieler said. "It will be great for our program. It's definitely exciting."
"The next two regattas measure our season," Wieler said. "We are hoping to produce some finalists and some winners, we are definitely optimistic."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
- Easy A(rts): UB's best introductory art courses
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor