Women's swim team starts MAC play with victory
As the schedule moved from the last two non-scoring meets into the opening of the Mid-American Conference slate, the women's swim team finally got the opportunity to prove its potential in the first scored meet of the season.
On Saturday afternoon, the Bulls (1-0, 1-0 MAC) welcomed Akron (1-2, 0-2 MAC) to Alumni Arena for the opening of conference play. Buffalo walked away with a 165-133 triumph.
"I really liked the way we performed today; Akron is a really good team," said head coach Andy Bashor. "They stepped up to the challenge. We've had a good couple of weeks of practice and it showed."
Senior Brittney Kuras continued to perform consistently, leading the Bulls with a pair of wins in freestyle races. She set a season best with a time of 1:49.31 in the 200-yard freestyle, which was three seconds faster than her result at the WNY Invite on Oct. 13.
But that wasn't all. She took first for the 100-yard freestyle with a 50.84. In addition to that, she won in the 200-yard individual medley.
The athlete who set the state record in the 500-yard freestyle, sophomore Jessica Powers, placed first in the event in 5:00.92 - almost a three-second improvement from her time in the WNY Invite. She also won the 1,000-yard freestyle in 10:18.18.
Sophomore Spencer Rodriguez finished in front in the breaststroke races - with a time of 1:06.11, she finished the 100-yard race faster than her previous best. She also finished two seconds ahead of her last best time in the 200-yard race with a time of 2:23.68.
Senior Mallory Morrell scored a season-best time, 23.37, in the 50-yard freestyle.
Though there have only been three meets in the season thus far, two of which were non-scored, the Bulls have exhibited an improvement from previous years with striking times.
"During practice, it's been a lot harder," said junior Taylor Lansing. "Our bodies been hurting. [Bashor] has been really hard on us. He keeps telling us: 'Sorry, we're not letting up. It'll pay off in the end, but it'll be really difficult.'"
The girls will travel with the men's team to Colgate and Army next week for non-league matches. The Bulls will take on the Raiders on Nov. 9 and the Black Knights on Nov. 10.
"We're all getting stronger," Lansing said. "We can tell we're getting stronger."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- A gen ed breakdown: understanding UB’s potential revamp
- UB screens students, monitors Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Volleyball ties for first place in Hoosier Classic
- Bulls lose last non-conference game
- How to get away with angering the journalistic community
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
- Quick Hits: Volleyball three-way ties for first place in tournament; Men’s...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections