UB hosts blood drive for Hurricane Sandy victims
UB is hosting four blood drives this week through the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Melanie Reimondo, a first-year graduate student in the department of urban and Regional planning, has volunteered with the American Red Cross since she was 16 years old and has been an intern with the organization for the last two years.
Reimondo said UB reached out to the Red Cross to try and help in any way it could.
"The UB Student Affairs office reached out to the Red Cross, and asked us to either host a donation event or do blood drives," Reimondo said. "The blood drives will be this week and we're putting together a donation event for this weekend, as well."
According to Reimondo, there have been over 400 drives canceled so far in the affected areas of the Hurricane, leaving a 12,000 unit deficit and an increased need for blood.
Reimondo believes the blood drives will be a good way for the Buffalo community to give back and help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
"A UB graduate was living in New York City and was killed from the storm and therefore the school and its students are eager to do something to help these cities recover," Reimondo said in an email.
The blood drives will be held in 210 Student Union on Monday, Nov. 5 through Thursday, Nov. 8. The events will be held between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy