UB hosts blood drive for Hurricane Sandy victims
UB is hosting four blood drives this week through the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Melanie Reimondo, a first-year graduate student in the department of urban and Regional planning, has volunteered with the American Red Cross since she was 16 years old and has been an intern with the organization for the last two years.
Reimondo said UB reached out to the Red Cross to try and help in any way it could.
"The UB Student Affairs office reached out to the Red Cross, and asked us to either host a donation event or do blood drives," Reimondo said. "The blood drives will be this week and we're putting together a donation event for this weekend, as well."
According to Reimondo, there have been over 400 drives canceled so far in the affected areas of the Hurricane, leaving a 12,000 unit deficit and an increased need for blood.
Reimondo believes the blood drives will be a good way for the Buffalo community to give back and help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
"A UB graduate was living in New York City and was killed from the storm and therefore the school and its students are eager to do something to help these cities recover," Reimondo said in an email.
The blood drives will be held in 210 Student Union on Monday, Nov. 5 through Thursday, Nov. 8. The events will be held between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”