UB hosts blood drive for Hurricane Sandy victims
UB is hosting four blood drives this week through the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Melanie Reimondo, a first-year graduate student in the department of urban and Regional planning, has volunteered with the American Red Cross since she was 16 years old and has been an intern with the organization for the last two years.
Reimondo said UB reached out to the Red Cross to try and help in any way it could.
"The UB Student Affairs office reached out to the Red Cross, and asked us to either host a donation event or do blood drives," Reimondo said. "The blood drives will be this week and we're putting together a donation event for this weekend, as well."
According to Reimondo, there have been over 400 drives canceled so far in the affected areas of the Hurricane, leaving a 12,000 unit deficit and an increased need for blood.
Reimondo believes the blood drives will be a good way for the Buffalo community to give back and help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
"A UB graduate was living in New York City and was killed from the storm and therefore the school and its students are eager to do something to help these cities recover," Reimondo said in an email.
The blood drives will be held in 210 Student Union on Monday, Nov. 5 through Thursday, Nov. 8. The events will be held between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections