Senate awards grants, derecognizes clubs
On Sunday, Nov. 4, the Student Association Senate met and awarded grants to two clubs and derecognized 10 others.
The senators heard proposals from Sikh SA and Singapore SA.
Sikh SA requested $1,500 for the Panjabi Gala. Sikh SA expects 150 to 200 people to attend the event. The gala will provide a Panjabi experience with a Sikh disc jockey to set the atmosphere.
The club requested $1,500 to help pay for the venue, DJ, transportation and security.
The Senate decided to award Sikh SA $650 from the New and Innovative Line to help pay for transportation and security. The motion was passed in a 14-1 vote, following a vote to award the club $800, which did not pass, 1-14.
The senators agreed the club could have done the event with only $500, but since Sikh SA has a small budget, they believed the extra $150 would help fund future events.
The Singapore SA asked the Senate for $1,000 to help fund its International Cosmic Bowling Night, which will serve as a fundraiser for the Make-A-Wish foundation.
Singapore SA already raised enough money to pay for catering and transportation for the event. They requested the Senate help cover the cost of the lanes.
The club is renting 40 bowling lanes at Transit Lanes and expects 300 people to attend the event. The Singapore SA hopes to fundraise $7,500 through ticket sales and advertisement deals to donate to Make-A-Wish.
The Senate awarded Singapore SA the $1,000 grant they asked for from the Co-sponsorship Line on unanimous consent.
The senators liked the club's ambition and hoped awarding the grant would encourage other clubs to be ambitious in coordinating events.
The Senate ended Sunday's meeting by derecognizing 10 clubs
Bahai, Educational Opportunities Program SA, Hindu SA, Hip Hop SA, Students for Justice in Palestine, United Socialist Movement of the Americas, Geography, Minorities in Health Related Professions, Pharmacology and Toxicology Club and Political Science have not fulfilled their requirements and did not respond to their council coordinators' attempts of communication.
SA President Travis Nemmer described the clubs as "beyond the pail." The clubs have been delinquent for as long as five years.
A motion to derecognize all 10 clubs wholesale was passed by a vote of 13-2.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360 newscast: Sept. 21, 2014
- A gen ed breakdown: understanding UB’s potential revamp
- UB screens students, monitors Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Volleyball ties for first place in Hoosier Classic
- Bulls lose last non-conference game
- How to get away with angering the journalistic community
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections