Have Cabin Fever? Check out some of this weekend’s events in the city
If you're looking for something new to read, then this is the perfect weekend to bee-bop into the City of Buffalo and check out local authors and bookstores.
The Small Press Book Fair, held at Karpeles Manuscript Library Porter Hall on Porter Ave. in Buffalo's West Side, will take place Saturday and Sunday. The fair goes from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. on both days. The annual fair celebrates small press and self-publishing authors as well as crafters who use books as their medium, printers and artists. There will be workshops such as Japanese Stab-Stich Bookbinding and poetry and fiction readings on the second floor of the old church.
On Thursday and Friday, poetry readings will take place at the WNY Book Arts Center at 468 Washington St. in downtown Buffalo to kick off the fair. All events are free and open to the public.
Just a 10-minute walk down North Street (Porter becomes North at Symphony Circle) will bring you to Karpeles Manuscript Library North Hall. "The Film Scripts for The Wizard of Oz" are currently on display, according to Karpeles' website. One particularly interesting manuscript details a stabbing attack between a few of the little people acting in the film. Both of the Karpeles Manuscript Libraries are always free and open to the public.
Although Allentowners will be sad to see the local secondhand bookstore Rust Belt Books move closer to the Buff State campus come September, the bookstore is having its annual Backroom Bag Sale. The sale, which began Tuesday, will run until Sunday, coinciding with the Small Press Book Fair. The book sale is touted to be the store's largest ever. For only $5 a bag, you'll be able to get quality used books - from literary criticism, to studies on architecture, to fiction, to works in foreign languages.
As this is the first weekend of April, it is First Friday at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery and in Allentown. The Albright-Knox will be open Friday until 9 p.m. and the first floor is free to the public. This month's First Friday in Allentown is opening eight galleries to the public, many until 9 p.m. In addition, the newest pizzeria on Allen Street, Crust, will be hosting live music by Lara Buckley and Gander.
Head to Allentown this weekend for brews, art and books - experience a vibrant and bohemian life.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections