In home opener, men's lacrosse hopes to learn from loss against Michigan State
The men’s lacrosse team is looking to rebound from its 12-3 loss to No. 4 Michigan State Saturday when the Bulls host No. 8 Boston College in their home opener on Friday. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Following a blowout loss last weekend at No. 4 Michigan State, the men's lacrosse team doesn't get much of a respite.
The Bulls (4-2) open conference play this weekend, hosting No. 8 Boston College (5-2, 0-1 Pioneer Collegiate Lacrosse League) Friday night and Pittsburgh (4-4, 2-2 Central Collegiate Lacrosse League) Sunday.
Following Buffalo's 12-3 loss to the Spartans (8-2, 4-0 CCLA) last Sunday, the Bulls have spent the past week revamping their system of play in anticipation of this weekend.
"We need to overhaul our play as a whole," said senior defensive midfielder Andrew Gasper. "We are forcing things too much; we are not playing smart lacrosse. What we have been working on this week is slowing things down, just kind of getting the offense in a place where we can make the plays happen and play smart and we're changing up the 'D' and playing smarter, talking more and just going back to fundamentals and focusing on playing good lacrosse."
The game against the Spartans came at a good time for the Bulls; it gave them time to adjust before conference play and showed younger players what top competition is like in the MCLA.
Both Gasper and head coach Ryan Crawford expressed the importance of knowing what to strive toward for a roster with so many younger players.
The Bulls have switched their focus to the Eagles now, tailoring their practice to Boston College's style of play. The defense has been applying more pressure than normal to the offense to mimic Boston College's defensive style.
Gasper also stressed playing team lacrosse.
"Later in the [Michigan State] game, it just seemed like a bunch of guys out there playing lacrosse," Gasper said. "We lost our team cohesiveness after we got rattled."
Recently, the Bulls have benefited from playing and practicing outside, which has helped the team with spatial recognition and offensive flow.
"I'm just getting used to the spacing on the field," Crawford said. "When you're in the gym, it's kind of cramped. You don't have as much room offensively to work the ball, and it becomes difficult because the defense can't really press out the way we want them to and our offense can't really utilize the space."
The Bulls' game Friday against Boston College is slated for 7:30 p.m. at Kunz Field. Sunday's game against Pittsburgh is scheduled for noon.
"We've been here before where we have had a loss like that and we've come back and won our conference," Crawford said. "We still have a month left in the season. We just have to work hard and get to a place where we are playing our best lacrosse in early May when it matters most."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge