Quick Hits: Track & field breaks school records, women's basketball has big comeback
Junior Damien David and the men’s tennis team defeated Duquesne, 4-3, at the Miller Tennis Center Saturday. Nick Fischetti, The Spectrum
Women's Basketball (14-9, 7-5 Mid-American Conference)
The Bulls defeated Northern Illinois (8-14, 4-8 MAC) 66-57 Saturday afternoon at Alumni Arena.
The Bulls were down 13 points midway through the second half but went on a 20-1 run to erase the deficit and keep the lead for good. Freshman forward Alexus Malone had a double-double with 10 rebounds and a career-high 20 points.
Buffalo travels to Kent State (5-18, 2-10 MAC) on Wednesday night. Tip is set for 7 p.m.
The full game story can be found at ubspectrum.com.
Men's Tennis (4-1)
The No. 71 Bulls defeated Duquesne (6-2, 2-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) 4-3 at the Miller Tennis Center on Saturday. Sophomore Akhil Mehta defeated Max Rubin in straight sets in singles to seal the victory for Buffalo. The Bulls will face Marist (0-1) on the road next Saturday.
For full coverage, visit ubspectrum.com.
The Bulls were set to start their season this weekend at Davidson but the all three games were canceled due to snow.
Track & Field
The track & field team competed in the SPIRE Division I Invite this weekend in Geneva, Ohio. The men's team broke two school records.
Sophomore distance runner Cameron Bruce set the UB record for time in the 3000-meter run with a time of 8:18.97 and sophomore distance runner Brian Crimmins broke the record in the mile run with a time of 4:08.23.
The Bulls next compete in the Cornell Denault Invite in Ithaca, N.Y. next Saturday.
Women's Tennis (4-1)
The Bulls had an undefeated weekend and swept both Duquesne (2-4, 1-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) and Niagara (2-1) at the Miller Tennis Center.
The Bulls defeated the Dukes 7-0 on Saturday and continued their dominance by dropping the Purple Eagles 7-0 on Sunday. The team will head to West Virginia (1-5) next Saturday for a 1 p.m. match.
Wrestling (3-16, 0-7 MAC)
The Bulls fell 22-18 at Alumni Arena Friday against Binghamton (5-11). The Bulls had an 18-10 lead heading into the final three matches, but were unable to hold on for the victory. The dual meet was won when the Bearcats' Tyler Deuel pinned freshman heavyweight James Benjamin 50 seconds into the final match.
The Bulls traveled to Eastern Michigan on Sunday and were defeated 34-6. Senior Nick Flannery won in the 149-pound weight class with an 11-9 decision over Mike Shaw and Benjamin won the heavyweight matchup with Khodor Hobollah 7-2.
The Bulls will have their last dual meet of the season next Sunday against Northern Illinois (6-11, 1-6 MAC) at Alumni Arena. The start time of the meet has yet to be announced.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge